Single Comb Blue Laced Red Wyondottes?

friskebluegills

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 17, 2010
I know that wyondottes have rose combs, but we're looking at getting a few from someone and he said that he has 4 rose combs and 4 single combs. He said that it happens sometimes. Before I but them I was just wondering if that was right, it doesn't really seem like it, but then again I haven't studied up on the genetics, Thanks

Last edited:
Quote:
Could you elaborate more on the fertility thing? I'm kind of confused
wink.png

Wyandottes sometimes have a single comb, due to having cochin in their background. You wouldn't show those as it's not acceptable. That being said, I know some breeders like to keep a couple of single combs in their breeding programs because it increases fertility.

Quote:
Single combed birds are always (or most of the time) more fertile than other types of combs? Or specifically more fertile than rosecombs?

I had a breeder tell me a few weeks ago that if I saw a roo with some kind of a giant, out of proportion sized comb (for the breed), that it was typically not fertile or not as fertile as a roo with a normal sized comb.

Quote:
Correct the birds with a single comb cannot be shown, but the Blue Laced Red is not an accepted variety for the breed. It can be shown, but only in the AOV class and could only win Best of that, would not go on to Best Of Breed. Just wanted to add this, in case you weren't aware and wanted to show at some point in the future.

Most likely some of the birds have Single Comb is do to there crossed with a Single Comb R.I. Red.
You use a R.I. Red to get the dark red color in the Blue Laced Reds and some breeders use a single comb Red and others uses a rose comb Red.

As far a Rose comb breeds having lower fertility, Im sorry I just dont see it. I have Rose comb breeds and I have very good fertility with them.
I get nearly 95% hatch with all my rose comb breeds.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom