Single hen?

A & H

Songster
Dec 2, 2019
Nampa Idaho
Hey all!
i have a couple hens, only two. im worried that one will die. if one survives the other, what should i do? the single hen will be lonely, right?

I was just talking about this earlier this morning while observing my flock of 6 hens. A flock is necessary for hens’ health and well being. Hens have a social order and each hen in the flock holds a certain role and responsibility for everyone’s survival. I wouldn’t think even two hens would be sufficient for normal/healthy development. I would suggest getting at least two more.

I had four until we had to give away the rooster, then one had to be put down. The two remaining seem fine. Thanks for all your prompt replies!! i am open to any more ideas. :)

I totally agree a few birds more would be good for their quality of life, but not necessary.....with one caveat.

I was just talking about this earlier this morning while observing my flock of 6 hens. A flock is necessary for hens’ health and well being. Hens have a social order and each hen in the flock holds a certain role and responsibility for everyone’s survival. I wouldn’t think even two hens would be sufficient for normal/healthy development. I would suggest getting at least two more.

Make sure you are equipped and want to handle more. It's a hobby and if they look happy and developed, they probably are. Dogs would be happier with more dogs, however thrive with man. Pay attention and care for the girls and decide if you are willing to do more for them to thrive more (possibly). They may be happy just as they are and will seem stressed during pecking order changes.
Only you know how much you can fit into your lifestyle, sometimes moderation is the key. These animals will depend on you for everything and you do not want this to be a burden. Start slow so you can enjoy owning these members of the family, and when to time is right go get your two girls some new friends..

Back
Top Bottom