Single Horse... Solitary Confinement?

I own one of the very VERY few exceptions to the rule. my old show horse likes to be alone. when we first moved here we bought a paint yearling to keep him company, she bugged him constantly. he really was apathetic at best and a miserable grouch at other times. we sold the mare when I got pregnant and put on partial bed rest at 10 weeks. knowing full well if he got really upset we would have to board him or get some sort of friend.

the difference was amazing he was happy. he wanted to be worked and messed with. he was an angel for my 9yo niece to ride and show in 4h. her first show with him not seeing other horses all spring and summer... he was perfect as can be. this winter we are actually having to work him more to keep the weight off. rather the feeding more and more.

however he is the only horse in 15+ years of ridding that I have ever known to be happy alone. he spends his time not being worked grazing, eating, watching the tractors go by and is very happy.

I have a 25 year old paso fino mare that would be fine alone. She really doesn't pay any attention to the other horses, I can ride her out alone, leave other horses while riding, she doesn't care. She does have a pasture mate, probably just to make me feel better.

Personally I think it's cruel to keep any herd animal alone. If I had my way I'd make it possible to charge someone for neglect if they kept a horse or other herd animal alone without a veterinarian stating there are unique circumstances requiring it. Another horse would be best and you can easily get horses for free these days. If that's not possible having at least another hoofed animal that is easier and less expensive to care for would be a good compromise.

Horses really are herd animals to their core. I have never known of a horse to be happy and thrive while by itself. (when I was a kid I had a sweet young QH who was in a pasture by himself for two months one summer... despite my endless attention, he was so lonesome - he tried to befriend every small animal that would wander through his pasture - a skunk, a porcupine, a badger *ouch* and all numbers of small dogs - poor guy) A horse in a stall next to and across from other horses that they can see (and hear) is far better off than a lone horse in a pasture for sure. Great recommendations here about companion animals tho - goats and horses always got along while I had horses in training. It was standard fare (still is) in training barns all over. Good lucj!!

Back
Top Bottom