Single, lonely chick

linsybird

Songster
Jun 28, 2018
Oklahoma
One of my broodys’ chicks got stepped on. I found the poor thing on the ground this afternoon and thought she was dead, but she was just in shock. Since bringing her in and giver her sugar water, she’s perked up a little, but can’t walk and only opens one eye. I’m 50/50 on where her she’ll survive or not, so I’m hesitant to buy more chicks to keep her company. I also don’t want them to walk all over her.

Now that she’s perked up, I have to be holding her or there is constant chirping. I have a brooder set up with shavings, a heat lamp and a beanie baby for ‘company’, but nothing helps if I’m not there. Of course I feel horrible if I don’t hold her, because I feel so bad for her, but I can’t hold her 24/7. She’s currently laying in my chest under a washcloth for warmth, but I can’t sleep like this. I also don’t want to listen to her chirp alllllll night long.

Doesn’t anyone have an tips or ideas on how to keep her happy?

Try putting a mirror in there for her, I might try to get her another chick, how old is she, are there any farms around that might have chicks her age, a few days old I'm guessing? SH does need friends though, plus it will be much more difficult, to integrate her, if there is only one baby. Good luck with her, maybe yo could play a movie for her, maybe chicken run? IT worked for us with a scared, depressed cat! 🤪 Honestly, the movie isn't a bad idea! Good luck, Avery

Try giving her a warm cup of water (put a lid on it) to cuddle up with. A toy chick can also help.

My duckie hatched as a solo.
IMG_20200827_043812.jpg

When he moved out to his one-month-older siblings, I gave him his toy "sibling" and a small step-stool to hide under. Within a few days, he was fully integrated. He's little, so they keep him in the middle of the group.
IMG_20200918_134304.jpg

(He is hiding right above the front duck's tail.) He still thinks I am mom, but he knows he has found his flock!

Try putting a mirror in there for her, I might try to get her another chick, how old is she, are there any farms around that might have chicks her age, a few days old I'm guessing? SH does need friends though, plus it will be much more difficult, to integrate her, if there is only one baby. Good luck with her, maybe yo could play a movie for her, maybe chicken run? IT worked for us with a scared, depressed cat! 🤪 Honestly, the movie isn't a bad idea! Good luck, Avery

Ugh, I didn’t even think of having to integrate her :th
She’s 4 days old. If she’s doing good in the morning I guess I’ll have to give in and find some friends for her. I was so happy to have a broody hatch chicks so I didn’t have to take care of them.

Try giving her a warm cup of water (put a lid on it) to cuddle up with. A toy chick can also help.

My duckie hatched as a solo.
View attachment 2343552
When he moved out to his one-month-older siblings, I gave him his toy "sibling" and a small step-stool to hide under. Within a few days, he was fully integrated. He's little, so they keep him in the middle of the group.
View attachment 2343554
(He is hiding right above the front duck's tail.) He still thinks I am mom, but he knows he has found his flock!
I love his toy! I trolled a sock with dry rice to heat up, but it didn’t hold the heat very long. I’ll give water a try though, maybe if I put it under the heat lamp it’ll help :fl

With older chickens, if you see any aggressive behavior toward the younger chick, try the see-don't-touch method of introduction. There's lots of great advice on this subject on this site. It's kind of a pain to maintain a separate cage within a cage, but it's definitely worthwhile.

Well, the little chick didn’t make it. I finally got her settled in the brooder, and when I went to check on her half an hour later she was gone.

3/8 of my broodys’ chicks have died because of the mom’s negligence. I think at this point I may have to raise the rest myself.

Back
Top Bottom