Single orphan chick - how to raise? :(

TheBanditQueen

Songster
9 Years
Jun 1, 2013
What to do when you have a lone chick?

Had a mama hen with 2 chicks. Something broke in last night (still not sure what, strange situation) and killed hen and 1 chick.

2nd chick escaped, lucky booger, and got in my other broody pen right next door. (And yet the predator didn't...go figure) This hen's hatch is not due til the 27th. She'd be quite glad to take the chick, right now it's happily sitting on her head, but with a chick, she may leave her eggs...

My incubator isn't due to hatch for another 9 days, so right now I have no other chicks of similar age this orphan can live with.

I have a batch of 4 week old chicks, but they are MASSIVE compared to this one. And that's all I have. This one is only 10 days old...wouldn't that be too big an age difference?

But I don't know if it would survive 9 days alone in my brooder... Maybe I could put just one of the 4 week old monsters with it?

Any advice/thoughts/ideas welcome. Thanks in advance. Please be gentle...I already feel bad enough about what happened. :hit

A mirror, I didn't think of that. I may have a hand mirror somewhere and can look for a plushie something. Good ideas in the link too. Thank you guys. ❤

The mirror helped, but baby isn't quite buying it. :/ Hopefully I can dig up a feather duster as well.

Thanks Quacksalot! I tried to see if that would work, but size and shape just weren't conducive. :(

Little nugget did better when I put the mirror in, but still was feeling pretty low. I ended up putting one of my baby turkeys (3 weeks old) with him. No pecking, no fighting, now they are both doing well thankfully. Making peaceful happy chirps, and having a ball playing with the mirror together.

Back
Top Bottom