Sinus/weezing breathing in call ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jbourget, Nov 15, 2011.

1. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Just wondering what the best method for curing this would be. i think it is due to shipping, but who knows i have a few sick ducks and want them to get all better before winter hits hard. They have a sneeze sort of and shake thier heads alot. and scratch with feet. Heard there is something at Tractor supply like a crumble they can eat? or something to add to water? A link to buy it online would be great. Thank you

Josh

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Calls are so prone to sinus infection, poor babies.
    Make sure they have plenty of water for cleaning their nares(I know you do, I've seen your set up) and try to find some Baytril-yes it is crazy expensive, but it's what my vet recommends for ducks. Barring that, get some Terramyacin water soluble antibiotic powder and put it in their water. Change the antibiotic water every 24 hours.
    Try to separate the sneezy guys just in case it's contagious.
    Good luck!

3. jbourget

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Yes i serperated them up, but were do i get the baytril i search it and just some big company comes up with no way to order it [​IMG] would have to go thru a vet?

the water powder ill have to look around for at grain stores or tractor supply

4. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
  5. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Oh and just a piece of advice, DO NOT let anyone tell you to inject ANYTHING into the sinuses of a duck. That's jacked up!

6. jbourget

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    thanks a bunch....so the bottle of tablets for 92 bucks my best bet? darrel sheraw tells me to give half tablet for 5 days. thanks [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  8. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:The tablets will probably have a longer shelf life. Keep them in a dark cabinet and they'll last you a good long time!
    You're very welcome!

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:The tablets will probably have a longer shelf life. Keep them in a dark cabinet and they'll last you a good long time!
    You're very welcome!

easttx, I bought Baytril tab. just to have on hand, haven't had to use any thank goodness but I have been storing them in the freezer wrapped real good for moisture protection, is keeping them in the freezer a bad idea?

10. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    NO Cold slows chemical degrading. But try to remove what you are going to use right away at one time, every time you open that bottle it gets warm moist air and when replaced in the freezer that moisture condenses to water before it freezes and that will affect the tabs. Stability chemist in real life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by