Sired by an Araucana Rooster

MichiganWoods

DD (Artistic Digital Diva)
11 Years
Oct 6, 2008
West Michigan
I got ahold of the gal whom we got our refrigerated eggs from. The only rooster she has right now is an Araucana. She guessed that we have the following: The two lightest chicks she believes to be Isa Browns. -- Do Isa Brown chicks always have stripes? One of the light ones does, and the other does not. -- The black chick she believes to be an Australorp (which looks exactly like a Black Sex Link in comparing photos I've found online), and the two darker brown chicks she believes to be Araucanas.

5amigos.jpg

None of them would of course be pure bred anything. Would they then be considered Easter Eggers, since they were sired by a rooster with the dominant blue egg gene? Each of these babies were hatched out of brown eggs, but of course, if any of them end up hens... they could lay various colors, correct?

I would love to know the answer to that. I am raising 25 chickens, 4 barred rock, 11 ameraucanas, and 10 rhode island reds. I'm thinking of adding a rooster or 2, but I'm not sure what kind of rooster to get. Do I need 3 different roosters? or does it matter what breed the rooster is,? Some one Please Help!!!

Thanks
Dweeb1

you got some Pretty little chickies there..

but I ques i must say they are mutts/crossbreds, if they are not bred with the same breed of chicken, they may look like a certain breed, but genetically they are mutts and will produce mutts as well.

If you want a certain breed then you need to use a roo of that breed to get pure offspring..

Charlie

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses. That all makes complete sense.

Just one more question... What is the difference between an Easter Egger and a barnyard crossbreed/mutt?

Back
Top Bottom