Site to buy pheasants

copperduck

Songster
7 Years
May 14, 2015
Doylestown ohio
Does anyone know of good sites to buy exotic pheasants, I go on softbills but it's not put together very well unless u keep up on it everyday, I just don't have the time( to busy spending time with my birds
1f603.png
)

Good point, but I hate the shipping process I don't get to see what I get and I like to see how they were kept, I'm really into stepping up my collection to the impeyan, tragopan or Palawan but I'm not sure what to get, impeyans dig a lot and heard they were skittish and palawans I heard not to be in dry conditions nor cold and are picky with there diet, and I heard tragopans can kill each other for no reason and are picky with finding a mate, like u can't just put two together and expect them to breed. So with all that said I'm pretty concussed

Yes impeyans love to dig,but they don't seem like they are digging out,they just want to dig.Palawans are a little touchy with cold weather.I have never heard of temm killing each other.Maybe someone tried to add a hen to a pen that a male has been in for a while and he killed her,this will happen with almost all species of pheasants.
Hartley Boss is in Orrville Oh,Joe Cali in Lodi,Steve Klan in Maynard,David Kortekamp in Cinncinnati,Kurt Landig inFremont,Paul Manz in Paulding,Mary Reinke in Cinncinnati,Roman Schlabach in Fresno,Randy Stohl in Clyde,Noah Troyer in Millersburg,Samuel Weaver in Shreve.You have pheasant people everywhere in Ohio.
In N.H.,Tony.

Oh wow how do u know all those people that good I'm very close to lodi and Orville, and was actually at Kurt landigs place it was amazing the time he put into is cages and set up, and how many differant kinds I never even seen before and he had signs that told you what they were and there orgin it was awesome

Oh wow how do u know all those people that good I'm very close to lodi and Orville, and was actually at Kurt landigs place it was amazing the time he put into is cages and set up, and how many differant kinds I never even seen before and he had signs that told you what they were and there orgin it was awesomeII
I am a member of the American Pheasant and Waterfowl Society (APWS) and they send a directory every year and gives you names of people and what they raise by each state.
In N.H.,Tony.

You might have a very hard time getting the really wild and rare birds locally. I had to get my male impeyan from across the country along with my swinhoe hens and a few other species. Getting them from just once or two local sources can be iffy too because since alot of pheasant breeders know each other if they're local they often exchange birds to get new blood in so you might be getting birds that are more closely related than is ideal. When it comes to pairing birds it can be tricky and results will vary depending on the bird but some general guidelines to follow would be.

With some species like impeyans, tragopans, and a few others they really should be kept in pairs only as the females can fight with each other and/or the male will play favorites and completely ignore other hens in favor of one.

Never introduce new birds into a pen of birds with an established pecking order or that have been in the pen for an extended period of time. Instead try to introduce everyone at once so no one comes in as the low man on the totem pole right away.

Don't keep young birds with older birds especially during breeding season due to aggression issues.

With impeyans don't try and pair a fully mature cock bird to a yearling hen as there is a good chance he will kill her.

NOTE: these are just my personal opinions that I have gathered from other more experienced breeders and through my own observations.

When it comes to temperament it's really dependent on the individual birds. Red goldens are supposed to be pretty buddy buddy but mine are a somewhat nervous and timid bunch. My impeyans, amhersts, and swinhoes on the other hand seem to make a game of who can get underfoot first and trip me when giving food. I also have to hold on to the bowl tight if I decide to hand feed that day because they jump into the bowl or onto my shoulders so they can stuff their faces quicker.

You might have a very hard time getting the really wild and rare birds locally. I had to get my male impeyan from across the country along with my swinhoe hens and a few other species. Getting them from just once or two local sources can be iffy too because since alot of pheasant breeders know each other if they're local they often exchange birds to get new blood in so you might be getting birds that are more closely related than is ideal. When it comes to pairing birds it can be tricky and results will vary depending on the bird but some general guidelines to follow would be.

With some species like impeyans, tragopans, and a few others they really should be kept in pairs only as the females can fight with each other and/or the male will play favorites and completely ignore other hens in favor of one.

Never introduce new birds into a pen of birds with an established pecking order or that have been in the pen for an extended period of time. Instead try to introduce everyone at once so no one comes in as the low man on the totem pole right away.

Don't keep young birds with older birds especially during breeding season due to aggression issues.

With impeyans don't try and pair a fully mature cock bird to a yearling hen as there is a good chance he will kill her.

NOTE: these are just my personal opinions that I have gathered from other more experienced breeders and through my own observations.

When it comes to temperament it's really dependent on the individual birds. Red goldens are supposed to be pretty buddy buddy but mine are a somewhat nervous and timid bunch. My impeyans, amhersts, and swinhoes on the other hand seem to make a game of who can get underfoot first and trip me when giving food. I also have to hold on to the bowl tight if I decide to hand feed that day because they jump into the bowl or onto my shoulders so they can stuff their faces quicker.
There not as hard to find as you think.There are many breeders all across the U.S.raising most of the breeds of pheasants.There are only a handful that are hard to find.
In N.H.,Tony.

I was just speaking of local breeders. If you're willing to ship it's alot easier but I know for me at least there are only about half a dozen breeders in my state and most of them stick to the more common stuff. I can get the amhersts, silvers, goldens, and the more common stuff without much trouble but species like kalij, peacock pheasants, swinhoe hens, impeyans, and others I've got to go on quite the scavenger hunt for them. Maybe it's just my state but there isn't alot here especially for peafowl (my other galliform habit).

Back
Top Bottom