Sit'n on the porch

Love that! And since I have already managed to slip and fall on the first snow of the year, I can confirm that your 'safety concerns' are valid! (Of course I fell on rocks, not nice fluffy snow)

Chicken coops don't smell! (The compost pile does from time to time :rolleyes: )but if the coop gets smelly you can imagine how uncomfortable it is for the girls. Much less smelly if it is close to the house (easier to clean).

Only people who don't know the irritation of getting all the way to the coop before realizing you forgot to bring the thing you were delivering can think it makes sense not to have it nearby.

Personally I want them close so predators think twice about visiting. If I am around them all the time because they are in the middle of the garden, and the dog walks around the coop to get to her perch/nap station, and everything else that happens is within reach of the coop, then they have a built in alarm system.

I warned my spouse if the coop is too far or too cold the chickens are sleeping in the living room, he knows I am not kidding 😂

Last edited:
I figured this was my LAST coop, last flock and how hard things would be when I am 80. EVERYONE! bless their bossy hearts, wanted me NOT to put it this close to the house. they wanted it
up where the pink line is-- the blue line is a seasonal creek, ditch, steepish slope-- no water- there is no way I could manage in winter getting up there 2 or 3 times a day and not fall down-- so NO, way. I knew what it was like when there is so much snow the flock has to stay in the coop a week or 2 so I wanted enough room that they could maneuver and not fight, I had 16 chickens and a rooster last time in a 8X6 and it was to tight. they would spill water every time they jumped down from the roost.
View attachment 3326300

I love where the coop is, Oh but mom it will stink so bad!!! no, my coop never stunk, I keep it clean, 👩‍🦳

I have my coop just off my screen room in the back.

I am able to watch my chickens from my kitchen windows and my screen room.

I have never had any trouble with my coop stinking.

Love that! And since I have already managed to slip and fall on the first snow of the year, I can confirm that your 'safety concerns' are valid! (Of course I fell on rocks, not nice fluffy snow)

Chicken coops don't smell! (The compost pile does from time to time :rolleyes: )but if the coop gets smelly you can imagine how uncomfortable it is for the girls. Much less smelly if it is close to the house (easier to clean).

Only people who don't know the irritation of getting all the way to the coop before realizing you forgot to bring the thing you were delivering can think it makes sense not to have it nearby.

Personally I want them close so predators think twice about visiting. If I am around them all the time because they are in the middle of the garden, and the dog walks around the coop to get to her perch/nap station, and everything else that happens is within reach of the coop, then they have a built in alarm system.

I warned my spouse if the coop is too far or too cold the chickens are sleeping in the living room, he know I am not kidding 😂
Wow, no falling!!!! I hope you didnt get hurt,
:oldI would of had to have a garden hose line all the way up there and yes! it would be frozen
We have a BIG black bear around, scat is just 200 yards to the southside of the house, a LG pack of coyotes , and all the other forest meat eaters--- in this pic , that thick area in the back ground is wild land.
image_67233025.JPG
It is fun to watch the chickens come running to the run line to see the dogs, Tony plays with his red XLG ball. when he runs it all around the chicken run fens hahaha 2 or 3 hens will run the fence line with him like they are chasing the ball, they seem to love, like sports spectators, watching him Lololo:gig

I love your coop! It is just perfect for easy cleaning and clutter free.

My poor spouse keeping doodling the 'next' house and I keep reminding him I need to be able to see the henhouse from the house. I currently have to climb over things to see it from the only window that looks that way, and I see nothing useful (just a wall with no windows), so I just go outside instead. This just eats up time because if I go into the coop I end up cleaning or fussing over them.
Ours is the focal point of the backyard. You can see it from every window on the backside of the house.

20221119_012013.jpg

I figured this was my LAST coop, last flock and how hard things would be when I am 80. EVERYONE! bless their bossy hearts, wanted me NOT to put it this close to the house. they wanted it
up where the pink line is-- the blue line is a seasonal creek, ditch, steepish slope-- no water- there is no way I could manage in winter getting up there 2 or 3 times a day and not fall down-- so NO, way. I knew what it was like when there is so much snow the flock has to stay in the coop a week or 2 so I wanted enough room that they could maneuver and not fight, I had 16 chickens and a rooster last time in a 8X6 and it was to tight. they would spill water every time they jumped down from the roost.
View attachment 3326300

I love where the coop is, Oh but mom it will stink so bad!!! no, my coop never stunk, I keep it clean, 👩‍🦳
Clean coops do not stink. That is a fact. Your coop always looks immaculate.

Wow, no falling!!!! I hope you didnt get hurt,
:oldI would of had to have a garden hose line all the way up there and yes! it would be frozen
We have a BIG black bear around, scat is just 200 yards to the southside of the house, a LG pack of coyotes , and all the other forest meat eaters--- in this pic , that thick area in the back ground is wild land.
View attachment 3326354
It is fun to watch the chickens come running to the run line to see the dogs, Tony plays with his red XLG ball. when he runs it all around the chicken run fens hahaha 2 or 3 hens will run the fence line with him like they are chasing the ball, they seem to love, like sports spectators, watching him Lololo:gig
That's a video we need to see.

Back
Top Bottom