Sit'n on the porch

I've become very spoiled with French press coffee. I'm glad that it takes a bit of time to make, because if it were as easy as brewed or Keurig, I'd drink way too much!

Anyone else use a French press?
I agree, I had one of these for years, it makes a small amount, you have to clean the whole thing to make the next cup. It kept me "under control" I shouldn't be drinking as much as my gluttony demands ;)
Screenshot_20221120-155826.png

I've become very spoiled with French press coffee. I'm glad that it takes a bit of time to make, because if it were as easy as brewed or Keurig, I'd drink way too much!

Anyone else use a French press?
I have used a French Press for about 2 decades and wouldn't trade for the world. I love everything about it. It makes the best coffee whether it's Italian Dark roast or Coffee and Chicory. :drool

The Leghorns would have been all over it.
My little Leghorns were all amazing egg machines, never missed a day, until recently when they started to opt for the pension plan. I lost one to an ascitite (sorry about the misspelling, aka water-belly) I treated her for months and kept her comfortable, but she eventually succumb to it. I had one who got it and somehow got better on her own (she is still alive) and a third I have started draining, she is happy as long as there is no accumulation.

Out of 5 Leghorns that means only one hasn't had this yet, and none of my RIR has had it. The RIR are mostly still laying.

How long after they stop laying will they stick around ? I don't begrudge then the retirement... They earned it, and I want one for myself so I can't complain about theirs.

Wish it wasn't winter though... They don't like the cold, spend most of their days sleeping... I made them a dust bath under a heat lamp in the coop so they have some reason to get out of bed ;) in the summer they run around scratching up everything. Winter showed up here this week, dumped a foot of snow on their garden.

Good Sunday Morning!
up at 4:50am made the fire, coffee, opened the coop- scooped up the overnight poop, filled the water, -- added more wood to the stove and poured my a wonderful HOT cup of coffee.
Even though its 28 out the coop water didnt freeze like yesterday, non of the chickens have explored the nesting box yet??? very odd. The Leghorns would have been all over it.
Have a great Day!
Leghorns lay much sooner than other breeds.

How long after they stop laying will they stick around ?
The oldest hen I have had is over 6 years. There are stories of them living more than 10 years here. The key for leghorns is for them to stop laying. Most die from egg laying problems.

. The key for leghorns is for them to stop laying. Most die from egg laying problems.
*Phew!*
Glad to hear it. I was worried that they were all going to check out on me now that their professional lives were done. it makes sense the laying is an issue that you mentioned, as it is just too intense. They are bantam and yet their eggs are huge. When I fed them better protein feed trying to fatten then up a little (too thin!) They just made bigger eggs :rolleyes: The RIR would put on a few ounces on their bums, (better feathers) they didn't give it all away to eggs.

I suggested they all take weekends off from laying, a 5 day workweek is fine... But they never listen to me (women!)* They (correctly) pointed out I cleaned the coop and fed them 7 days a week, but that isn't the same...

My girl's will be 3 years old in December/January, not sure how to celebrate, but we must have a party.

*Yes, I am a woman too... Which is how I know they are stubborn and not always very logical.

Anyway... Thanks for the reassurance... Much appreciated 💖

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom