Sitting hen and egg in wwrong place

Sunshine77

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
I am new at this. Please help.
I have a silkie rooster and hen, and two buff laced polish. I cannot believe how crazy I am about chickens!!! They are sooo cute!
Anyhow, the silkie is now sitting on an egg. Despite putting out two boxes for her to lay in...she lays under the ramp going up to the small floor above, that the polish sleep on. The rooster sleeps beside her on the floor. She started out under the ramp..now she is more out in the open. She has chosen a rather open and busy area in which to hatch an egg. I am afraid she will get jumped on, or the egg will get damaged. I think she needs a nice quiet spot...which it would be if the others were not there.
my options are :
-put a divider between her and the more open area where the polish and the rooster can then find new spots to sleep.
-or move her....and risk her not returning to the egg.
Perhaps there is something I am missing. Could you please give me some guidance. Thanks

Remember that a hen sets on eggs with the expectation of hatching a clutch of chicks. Hatching chicks is the only reason that hens go broody.

A hen's instinct is to lay on the ground in a well secluded place. Why else would a chicken lay eggs in a nest box unless it provided a sense of seclusion and safety for the hen?

It would seem that your hen chose the most secluded spot for her nest that she was able that was also on the ground floor of your coop.

Anyone wanting to hatch eggs under a hen will do well if they allow their hens to incubate their clutches of eggs as close to Mother Earth as humanly possible. This is how hens do it in nature.

If there is a problem, it is that in the back of her mind your Silkie hen is a chicken at heart.
big_smile.png

She would be more safe and isolated if she were "under" the ramp. She has moved into the more "common" area. I went out to check on her...and one of the polish was on the upper level where she sleeps....and when she jumped down nearly jumped on Emma! I think we will put the dog kennel in the further section of the coop, and move her in there this evening. This is our first time at this! When we got Emma she had two "chicks" and we were just awestruck at her mothering!!
So she will be in the dog kennel and have her own area for food and water...protected from the others. She is particularly attached to James (rooster, obviously) so am not sure how he will deal with being separated from her.
Any suggestions??? or comments......I eally am not sure that what I am doing is right.

Back
Top Bottom