sitting on eggs

X2

We had a problem with aggressive cockerels. The two that we kept for our flock protect the hens, call them to food and breed (only Mr. Rooster does this part) the pullets. He also does not allow the top pullet to be mean or nasty to the other hens (not that she has done that) and quickly intervenes if he feels it is out of hand.

Now that I have a good cockerel (and know the difference) I will not keep aggressive boys in my flock. Too many nice boys who do their jobs to tolerate or put up with boys that are not.

Agreed..

he isn't mean to our 4 girls. he watches over them really good. i won't get rid of him. hubby and i have gotten to attached to him . raised him from a baby

Your rooster your choice... But just for future reference in case you are wondering, Hand raised roosters are some of the worst... I don't know why but there is thread after thread in the Managing your Flock section that is about aggressive roosters and 99.9% of the time this is the one thing they all have in common...

When we got blue I would throttle anyone who tried to hand feed him

Hand raised roosters are some of the worst... I don't know why but there is thread after thread in the Managing your Flock section that is about aggressive roosters and 99.9% of the time this is the one thing they all have in common...

Mr. Rooster was always standoffish with us and we had so many chickens that came to us that we never really tried hard to make him a pet. He is the only Barred Rock cockerel we kept, the other six were culled. the OE bantam was just skittish from the start, much like game birds are. He too was not treated like a pet and he too made it past the cull.

The cockerels that we culled (sent to freezer camp) were all treated like pets rather than livestock and all of them became aggressive, and by aggressive I mean attacking us and breaking the skin. Does it happen in every case for everyone, no. For us it did and we will not treat cockerels like pets in the future, the girls yes but not the boys.

Last edited:
Mr. Rooster was always standoffish with us and we had so many chickens that came to us that we never really tried hard to make him a pet. He is the only Barred Rock cockerel we kept, the other six were culled. the OEG was just skittish from the start, much like all game birds are. He too was not treated like a pet and he too made it past the cull.

The cockerels that we culled (sent to freezer camp) were all treated like pets rather than livestock and all of them became aggressive, and by aggressive I mean attacking us and breaking the skin. Does it happen in every case for everyone, no. For us it did and we will not treat cockerels like pets in the future, the girls yes but not the boys.

Agreed.. The one mean rooster we had was hand raised and then we took him at 4 months and although we never really handled him he did eat out of our hand from time to time.... He was a mean son of a gun, almost took my eye out..

Back
Top Bottom