Sitting on the nest, singing the egg song and then.....

mags2009

Songster
13 Years
Aug 8, 2009
Wisconsin
Nothing????!!!!! One of my Buff Orpingtons has been laying for about a week now, (sporadically) I noticed her on the nestbox this afternoon, and thought I would wait for her to lay her egg. She went about singing the egg song for about half an hour and then she really started to sing... let out a last "high note" and jumped off the nest and back outside to eat with everyone else, so I went in to retrieve the egg, and.... NO EGG???!!! Does anyone know why????

Yep, shes got your number.

The ole fool those silly tall unfeathered chickens routine.

I have a couple that run into the coop, jump up in a nest box, give you the get out of here we are knitting an egg look, then you see them back outside, you head to the coop and no eggs in the nest box.

The chickens are very good at training their people
roll.png

Oh yeah, mine do that, some more than others. Seems the moment needs to be just right for some of them, and if its not they disappear & come back later. I have others that are very efficient. The other day I was cleaning the coop and one of my black australorps came in and gave me the 'look'. I found something else to do for a while, within 10 minutes she was back out of the coop with an egg left behind. Some of my others take hours to find the right time, nest and position. They're all unique
idunno.gif

Quote:
Yep, over the summer a few of my more empty-headed hens would go out back behind the coop and sing the egg song just to get me to come running. Laying outside the coop is a big no-no on this farm. I'd run out, dressed or not, just to catch them in the act. The minute I made it thru all the brush and they spotted me, they'd walk away. Silly human! We made you look!
tongue.gif
somad.gif

I wish mine would sing the egg song. They just sneak in the nest with a "you can't see me" look. When they jump out, sometimes there's and egg and sometimes not. I would have thought that since they are so young they would be very vocal about their successes, but they just aren't. Maybe they are afraid Simon Cowell will show up and critique their egg song?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom