Sitting

BoudreauxFarm

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2017
I have a hen that, except for her sitting around all day, is acting fine. She is eating, but lays down to eat. She sticks with the flock ( of 4 ) but sits when she is done pecking around. She isn’t loosing weight and is pooping normally. She does seem somewhat whobbly at times and flaps her wings to get balance back. She ( and the rest ) havent laid any eggs since winter started and have just finished up molting. I have checked her vent and palpated her all over. Nothing seems broken or swollen.
She gets the attention of one of the girls who likes to hang out with her.
Im worried that she is injured or has some sort of neurological issue causing her to lose her balance. I switched her feed today thinking she might be vitamin deficient. Their feed might be a bit old since they don’t go though much.
Any ideas why she is sitting so often? She is 3 this summer.

Thanks!

I have a hen that, except for her sitting around all day, is acting fine. She is eating, but lays down to eat. She sticks with the flock ( of 4 ) but sits when she is done pecking around. She isn’t loosing weight and is pooping normally. She does seem somewhat whobbly at times and flaps her wings to get balance back. She ( and the rest ) havent laid any eggs since winter started and have just finished up molting. I have checked her vent and palpated her all over. Nothing seems broken or swollen.
She gets the attention of one of the girls who likes to hang out with her.
Im worried that she is injured or has some sort of neurological issue causing her to lose her balance. I switched her feed today thinking she might be vitamin deficient. Their feed might be a bit old since they don’t go though much.
Any ideas why she is sitting so often? She is 3 this summer.

Thanks!
Anyone have any ideas. She is having a hard time getting on the roost now.

Any photos of the hen, her legs/feet (bottom of feet too) and her poop?
Have you checked her for lice/mites?
Has she been wormed?

You mention that you switched feed today - what do you normally feed?
The feed may be a bit old - how old? Have you noticed any mold?

I would also check to see if her crop is empty in the morning before she eats/drinks.

At 3 years of age, she may be suffering from a reproductive disorder which can affect the way they walk and they are also hesitant to get on the roost. I would start with ruling out crop problems, feet issues and parasites and go from there.

She is still getting around, and follows the flock outside of the coop in the morning as always. She is hungry and eats first thing each day. But its like she gets tired and needs to sit down. I also have noticed a slight limp on her right leg. I have checked her feet for sores and palpated her all over. No issues. Her feathers are good, and her color is good. She is actively looking around and interacting with the world, and if she wasn't sitting around all day, I would think she was just fine. She is prone to going broody twice per year, (Australorp), but this isnt broody behaviour. She isnt puffed up and the other girls arent super annoyed by her.

Im am leaning towards her doing something to hurt herself during the day and is still sore.

Note: all he girls really like the feed I switched them to. 16% Bar Ale small pellets. They were on Purina Omega, but it was rarely eaten and they just scrounged for bugs or ate the veggies we put out for them. Since switching to the new feed, I have removed all treats besides a handful of meal worms in the morning. I love giving them veggie/fruit scraps, but I need to know how much of the feed they are eating.

Since she seems to be eating well and is interacting with the flock, I would take a wait and see approach and check her regularly to make sure there's no lice/mites, her crop is emptying overnight and consider getting a fecal float for worms.

Back
Top Bottom