20-month Silkie can't walk, one leg seems fine

fannymae

Chirping
Aug 19, 2022
Hey all. I am having an issue with my Silkie Pamela, looking for some help. She's about 20 months old and going through her first molt. My husband and I noticed about 5 days ago that she didn't want to come back into the coop - she was under it. He got down and was able to scoop her forward with a board and eventually grab her and put her back in the coop. She seemed fine. The next day she couldn't stand - well she can for a little bit but uses her wings for balance and won't put weight on her right leg and then just flops over. She is eating fine (Natural Farm Feeds mix of layer and starter to help boost protein for molting). I have her isolated and her first poop was green and watery, every poop after has been totally normal - I think the watery poop was from lack of food because she wasn't walking to get food. She'll eat out of my hand or I can put the food down in front of her and she'll eat. She's not as interested in drinking but if I put the waterer right in front of her she will drink it. I've been giving her vitamins in her water and supplementing with a Vitamin E/Selenium gel because the first thing I thought of was a deficiency. I've also been considering Marek's but she has no head tremor and none of my other chickens are ill. Could this be something to do with her molt? If it is a vitamin deficiency when could I start seeing improvement? I also considered that her leg was accidentally broken when my husband scooted her forward with the board but I don't feel anything out of place (though this is my first time raising chickens and am a novice.) She seems alert and as active as she can be, she'll flap her wings.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

I'd wait to see what Eggcessive says if it's a vitamin deficiency. In the meantime, to me, it looks like she's in pain. I'd check her joints up into her thigh joint. I would feel for any swelling in that top joint first, then feel the other joints including the ones in her foot. If she'll allow you, try seeing if she can straighten her leg out to the ground while you hold her weight. See if it's mobile or not. If she doesn't allow you to move her leg (and thigh) around, don't force as I'm concerned she's in pain.

Unfortunately, I would suspect Mareks unless she has been injured. Does your vitamin contain riboflavin or B2? That would be good for her now, and b complex has that and all b’s. 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily can be crushed and added to a spoonful of water or a bit of egg or food.

Have you added any new birds to the flock recently? Do you have a rooster? Chicken sling chairs are good for helping to get a lame chicken upright and in front of food and water. They can spend time in them with periods out for rest, stretching, sleeping, etc. Here are some good examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

1698779307800.jpeg

Have you added any new birds to the flock recently? Do you have a rooster? Chicken sling chairs are good for helping to get a lame chicken upright and in front of food and water. They can spend time in them with periods out for rest, stretching, sleeping, etc. Here are some good examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

View attachment 3672653
No new chickens and no roosters in the flock. Is it common for Mareks to show up later in a chicken's life? Thank you for the sling suggestion! I will give that a try! Should her legs be able to touch the ground, or is it ok if she's free floating in it?

Unfortunately, I would suspect Mareks unless she has been injured. Does your vitamin contain riboflavin or B2? That would be good for her now, and b complex has that and all b’s. 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily can be crushed and added to a spoonful of water or a bit of egg or food.
I will check the ingredients when I get home from work. It's something I picked up at CHS - one of those multi-vitamin powders that does into the water. In addition I'm giving a gel that is just Vitamin E and Selenium.

No new chickens and no roosters in the flock. Is it common for Mareks to show up later in a chicken's life? Thank you for the sling suggestion! I will give that a try! Should her legs be able to touch the ground, or is it ok if she's free floating in it?
It usually strikes in birds under a year old, but it can happen at any time. You can try it with her feet touching the ground, but if she jumps out you may want to raise her feet off the ground.

Back
Top Bottom