Sick chicken and I'm inexperienced, please help?

unfamiliar and new to all of this sorry. I feel like I'm coming off as a dumb a**...
Please don't feel like that! We were all newbies once. Everybody has to learn and this is the BEST place to do that. There are so many people here with years of experience, training and research, and all they want to do is help people like you and their feather babies. That's why BYC exists, so ask away! Everyone is here to help. :hugs

There are some things you can fix, some things you can't. If she is egg bound, a relatively easy fix. I had something similar happen to one of my chickens. I thought she was egg bound. I took her to the vet. She had an enlarged gizzard that was basically suffocating her. I'm so sorry about your chick and hoping for the best.

I live in South Carolina and got them from tractor supply when they were a few days old. They are now almost 3 years, they were labeled as easter eggers but that's a guess. I have 6 hens and a rooster. No compost pile, yes they free range and her poop was a little runny but wasnt much of it. She laid and egg about 5 days ago, a few days after she was showing weird signs. They were normal eggs. She laid I think 3 while she was acting funny. Thank you
We've had bad luck with chicks bought from Tractor Supply. 6 out of 7 chickens purchased at TSC are already dead due to Marek's disease. One is still alive, but she has cancer due to Marek's disease. They were fine for the 1st 2 years, and in the 3rd year started getting sick. It's a minor miracle that our lone survivor is still alive, but she is living with a huge tumor, and needs fluid drained every 2-3 weeks.

I wouldn't buy any chicks from TSC due to their quality control problems with regards to vaccinating chickens for Marek's.

It's cost us literally thousands to treat all our sick chickens. Chicks purchased elsewhere haven't had as many issues as TSC chicks. I told TSC about this, and they offered to refund our purchase for these chicks.

If you can find a good vet with experience with chickens, I would take her there to get her diagnosed properly.

Thank you everyone who replied and tried to help. I gave her the calcium tablet but unfortunately that night she passed away in her sleep.

We've had bad luck with chicks bought from Tractor Supply. 6 out of 7 chickens purchased at TSC are already dead due to Marek's disease. One is still alive, but she has cancer due to Marek's disease. They were fine for the 1st 2 years, and in the 3rd year started getting sick. It's a minor miracle that our lone survivor is still alive, but she is living with a huge tumor, and needs fluid drained every 2-3 weeks.

I wouldn't buy any chicks from TSC due to their quality control problems with regards to vaccinating chickens for Marek's.

It's cost us literally thousands to treat all our sick chickens. Chicks purchased elsewhere haven't had as many issues as TSC chicks. I told TSC about this, and they offered to refund our purchase for these chicks.

If you can find a good vet with experience with chickens, I would take her there to get her diagnosed properly.
I am starting to agree. Unfortunately before this I had purchased 5 chicks. But the first original 4 I had purchased from them only 2 are still alive and you're right, the first couple years they're alright. 😞

Sorry to hear this. Are you going to have a necropsy done to be sùre you are dealing with Msrek's? If you are, perhaps alerting the s tore where you got them would be in order?

Back
Top Bottom