Situation with a broody hen - need input

TJAnonymous

Enabler
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
I currently have 4 broody hens - all Black Australorps. All of them are about due to hatch. I checked in on them last night and Hen #1 had at least 1 chick. I did NOT move her to see if more had hatched. This particular hen would get up frequently to go eat & drink so several other (non-broody) chickens would add to her clutch. She had at least a dozen eggs under her.

Fast forward to this morning. Hen #1 had moved into the nesting box of Hen #2. There was 1 chick (a different one from last night) struggling to get under either of the two hens. Both hens were more interested in stealing eggs from each other.

The concerning part is that Hen #1 not only abandoned the rest of her eggs but also TWO babies who were desperately trying to burrow under SOMETHING. I moved the two babies into the nesting box where both hens are currently sitting.

My question is what should I do? Leave them alone? Move Hen #1 and her eggs & babies into a crate?

ETA - I can't really tell these hens apart, btw since they look the same.

I'm interested to see what answers you get. Maybe take whichever hen seems most chick attentive and put her in a crate with all the babies that hatch as of tonight. No eggs. Keep adding chicks if she will take them at night until she has around 10 and let momma 2 take the next shift.

Or, use something to keep them from getting out or going far until everybody hatches. Not sure.....

I left out a detail. Of the two chicks who were left behind in the nesting box. One appeared to have a wound on its back. I didn't get a good look at it. I don't know if the hen did it or something else. I need to go back out and look it over for more details which I will do shortly

Well CRAP! I wasn't able to get back to the coop to check on the chick I thought might be injured. I finally got back home almost 8 hours later... Went out to the coop and found a SAD SIGHT. The injured chick has been rejected, it appears. It wasn't even in the coop. It was outside laying on the ground and peeping so pathetically. It has been raining for several hours but the chick is dry so I think it was kicked out of the coop only recently.

Here's the injury. Looks like it has been skinned on its back.

20210605_165600.jpg

I washed it up, sprayed with peroxide to clean it. Then I put some Blue Lotion on the wound and some antibiotic ointment (neosporin). Right now I have the poor thing snuggled into a heating pad. I doubt it will live through the night but at least I gotta try!

Broody hens are best not together, because there's likely to be conflicts, and dead chicks. Separation is best! Can you have all the eggs actually ready to hatch under one, and have her by herself? Eggs in different stages of development won't make it either, unless you have an incubator, separate egg groups, and lots of time to manage this disaster.
So sorry for all these babies!
Mary

Well Hen #1 moved back to her own nest. Took her chicks with her too... Right now everything is copacetic. I did reach into the nesting box for each of the broody hens. None of them were particularly pleased with my interference but none of them became aggressive. Even when I picked up their chicks.... I'm not sure what was wrong with the chick which was attacked and removed from the coop but I choose not to 2nd guess nature, as sad as it was.

In the future....one broody at a time, break any others, and mark the eggs under broody and check daily for any additions if the rest of flock has access.

Back
Top Bottom