Six-Month-Old Hen Always Has Watery Stool

Jonas Fox

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2018
Southern California
Hi fam,
This is my first time with chickens. I have four easter eggers and they just started to lay this month. The problem is, one of my girls always has loose stool. I was able to confirm exactly which hen for the first time the other day.

This particular hen seems to be the noisiest and most unhappy of the group. Maybe it's just personality, maybe not. I also suspect that it's this hen that was the last to start laying based on what little information I could gain by playing egg-tracker detective.

She's not listless. She eats fine, if not being more hungry than the others. Her plumage and comb all look fine. I'm not sure what to do other than make sure they all have clean water with a bit of apple cider vinegar in it.
  • Have any of you ran into this before?
  • If so, what caused it and what made it better?

Hi fam,
This is my first time with chickens. I have four easter eggers and they just started to lay this month. The problem is, one of my girls always has loose stool. I was able to confirm exactly which hen for the first time the other day.

This particular hen seems to be the noisiest and most unhappy of the group. Maybe it's just personality, maybe not. I also suspect that it's this hen that was the last to start laying based on what little information I could gain by playing egg-tracker detective.

She's not listless. She eats fine, if not being more hungry than the others. Her plumage and comb all look fine. I'm not sure what to do other than make sure they all have clean water with a bit of apple cider vinegar in it.
  • Have any of you ran into this before?
  • If so, what caused it and what made it better?
The first thing that comes to mind is intestinal parasites. This is easy to check for, take a stool sample to a veterinarian for a fecal flotation test. I can also do this for you for free if you are in the continental US and willing to mail some to me. (PM me if you are interested).

I would collect some freshings in a freezer bag, and get a fecal test done, and Sue or your vet can help with that. Some chickens drink a lot of water which can make their droppings loose. Probiotics used in the food or water a couple of times a week might help. You could also try giving a small amount of cottage cheese or plain yogurt with live cultures occasionally to see if that helps. But too much is not good either. Believe it or not chickens do not need vinegar in their water. They just need clean water every day. I use to give mine vinegar with “mother” in their water each day because others on BYC said that it made them healthier, kept the waterers cleaner, contained probiotics, etc. It did not keep the waterers cleaner or prevent anything. Mine are really pretty healthy birds between 6 and 8 years old.

The first thing that comes to mind is intestinal parasites. This is easy to check for, take a stool sample to a veterinarian for a fecal flotation test. I can also do this for you for free if you are in the continental US and willing to mail some to me. (PM me if you are interested).
Thanks for the insights. I'll reach out in pm.

Back
Top Bottom