Six scratches, four bites and three band-aids later.....

Glad you finally got the meds down. I heard of someone who tried everything to get their elderly cat to swallow a pill. They too got scratched and bitten. After one futile attempt, the pill went flying, and the cat jumped away from the owner. Then went over to the pill and willingly ate it.

Gritsar,
The vet should be able to give you a pill holder. It holds the pill at the end of a stick, so you don't need to be so close to the teeth. Push the button and it drops-hopefully in the back of the mouth. Course that doesn't help with the claws.

http://img.thefind.com/images/WADbF...zE9NTi_UN9A1MTM3MjA0MLQ1NDZz0sgrSGRgA?m=1&g=1

If I can't get a liquid. I just get a script. I'm lucky enough to have a compounding pharmacist close. She will make anything into a chicken flavored liquid.

Imp-always has cat scratches

Buy stock in band-aid

Last edited:
Bless your heart! I found out the hard way too! I did find out if I soaked anything for my cats OR dogs in tuna juice, then slathered it with tuna...they would bite my hand trying to get it down...silly pets!
tongue.png

I used to pet sit for my neighbors cat who had to take daily meds (NOT FUN!) and I wrapped her in a blanket and wore gloves to give her pills...after I managed to dig her out from where ever she was hiding to give them to her, of course...

Earlier this year my cat got an infection from a wolf worm and had to have antibiotics. I was absolutely dreading trying to get my slightly antisocial, scent sensitive, not-fond-of-touching cat to take pills. He surprised us all when twice a day for ten days he took his pills like a champ just wrapped in some sliced turkey! Plus, after getting spoiled rotten with staying inside and getting treats everyday, he's my little cuddlebug!

I agree, gaited, that was pretty good!!

I don't remember having to give cats pills, but I'm pretty sure I have. Seems like they were capsules? I just pulled them apart and dumped it on whatever type of wet food I had. Except for the last cats I had, they were spoiled and got wet and dry food all the time. Good thing I never had to give them meds, I'm sure it would have been interesting!

I learned with my elderly cat that while it was soooooooooo frustrating to push a pill to the back of her throat,
if I held her (normally--not cradling like a baby) and tipped her head up I could hold the pill in between my middle finger & thumb just inside her mouth, and pretty much drop the pill to the back of her throat where she'd have to swallow it.

Advantages to dropping the pill in instead of pushing the pill back:
1. Pushing the pill to the back of their throat stimulates their gag reflex. (Imagine someone fighting you to swallow something while triggering your gag reflex! Double-bind!)
2. If much saliva gets on the pill before it reaches its destination, the pill is very likely to stick somewhere on the cat's tongue rather than slide toward the back of the mouth.
3. When you are pushing a pill, the point of pressure from your finger(s) is right where the pill is, and the cat will resist it strongly with its tongue is likely to be able to push the pill off to the side. If you are dropping the pill, the cat isn't fighting with its tongue as much because there isn't as much pressure on the tongue, you have a better grip on the pill, and the pill is some distance away from the tongue so less likely to get shoved aside.

There you have it. My best advice. Made things a world easier for me.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom