Six Week Old Cochin Is So Tiny!

CakNH

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2018
Tilton, NH
Hey all,

My little flock is having their six-week birthday on Monday. I’m planning on putting them out in the coop next week. They’re in their brooder on our enclosed porch to harden off, but with a Brinsea. They tend to roost on their perches, or have slumber parties and only sometimes go under the heater.

One of my mystery box girls from MPC is a mottled or silver laced Cochin (I think). As a baby, I thought she was a silver laced Wyandotte, but as she slowly grew, and her gold laced Wyandotte sisters grew, I began to wonder. Then her legs feathered out...

Anyway, I got all of the flock as day olds, and they were all the same size. No accidental bantams. My little Cochin grew along with her sisters, and then her growth slowed around three weeks. The other girls are huge and well-feathered, and the little Cochin is tiny and still sporting fluff on her back. Her little wing joints (elbows? Scapulae?) are bald! Her back is all sparse fluff, with feathered wings. She has been going under the heater FAR more than the others.

She’s not being bullied or pecked at. She noses right into the feed/water with everyone else. She joins right in for treats. Yet, she’s a little more than half the size of the others. I have two white Cochins who are huge and well-feathered, making me think it’s not an issue of the breed being slow to develop.

I’m planning on putting them out in the coop next week. I’m worried this one isn’t ready, when everyone else is!

My thoughts:

It’s unseasonably cold here. Projected 30s-low 40s (F) for the next few weeks at night. 40s-low 60s during the day. However, it was -2 a few days ago when I woke up.

I could segregate her for a few hours each day and give her vitamins/first access to food but that could disrupt the pecking order.

I could hold her (and a friend) back in the brooder until she feathers, and again disrupt the pecking order when I reintroduce them to the flock.

I could put her out and hopefully force her to feather.

I could hold everyone inside for another week without the Brinsea or any heat source (my porch would get down to about 45 degrees F at night, 55 during the day), then put them all out together. I’m also home during some of the day so I could put them in the run in the morning and take them in at night...but I have 13 crazy chickens who don’t love being caught!

Should I go ahead and put her out with the others? I’m attaching a pic of how poorly feathered she is.

Attachments

• 38117248-A7EC-4794-A7E3-FB53A40F9868.jpeg
    38117248-A7EC-4794-A7E3-FB53A40F9868.jpeg
    457.8 KB · Views: 83
Can you share full body shots? MPC does sell standard laced cochins. Sometimes males feather out slower. It would have a big red comb by now if a male.

I wouldn't move chicks that age outside without their heat with those current temperatures that aren't feathered well. I would wait another week and wean them off that heat. You could start to take them out daily to also get used to temperatures, or you could run your heat source solely at night out in the coop for a week or two.

Ok, got her. First shot is of her underside.

Attachments

• EA6AEB07-5E5E-4155-8A75-9050C370B004.jpeg
    EA6AEB07-5E5E-4155-8A75-9050C370B004.jpeg
    327.1 KB · Views: 52
  • FCC66A8E-EB95-4C50-B0EF-CFA40B7D92AA.jpeg
    FCC66A8E-EB95-4C50-B0EF-CFA40B7D92AA.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 49
  • DEAAF583-2629-4A69-8C7C-421A70C6D5AB.jpeg
    DEAAF583-2629-4A69-8C7C-421A70C6D5AB.jpeg
    422.1 KB · Views: 52
  • FF9E439A-7151-452D-9D19-1E505AA60ED1.jpeg
    FF9E439A-7151-452D-9D19-1E505AA60ED1.jpeg
    349.5 KB · Views: 54
What are you feeding them? And this is just an idea, I’ve never tried it and don’t even know if it would work, but you could give the chick a small portion of show bird feather booster feed mixed in with the regular feed to see if that helps.

What are you feeding them? And this is just an idea, I’ve never tried it and don’t even know if it would work, but you could give the chick a small portion of show bird feather booster feed mixed in with the regular feed to see if that helps.

I fed them Nature’s Best Organic Starter feed from TSC. This week I finished a 40lb bag, so I switched to same brand, Starter/Grower.

I supplement with organic baby spinach as a treat, and I give them Dumor chick grit.

All the others are big, and feathered.

Where would I find show bird feed? I have amazon prime, and we have a small agway close by.

I fed them Nature’s Best Organic Starter feed from TSC. This week I finished a 40lb bag, so I switched to same brand, Starter/Grower.

I supplement with organic baby spinach as a treat, and I give them Dumor chick grit.

All the others are big, and feathered.

Where would I find show bird feed? I have amazon prime, and we have a small agway close by.

Agway should have it. You should look for the NatureWise Feather Fixer. I just realized it’s not solidly a show bird feed but we just got it for our rooster who’s looking rough and the lady who sold it to us said it works wonders for her ducks. If you can’t find it just look for another “feather feed”.

Agway should have it. You should look for the NatureWise Feather Fixer. I just realized it’s not solidly a show bird feed but we just got it for our rooster who’s looking rough and the lady who sold it to us said it works wonders for her ducks. If you can’t find it just look for another “feather feed”.
Be aware that Feather Fixer has 3.25-3.75% calcium which may not be good for birds that aren’t laying yet.

Be aware that Feather Fixer has 3.25-3.75% calcium which may not be good for birds that aren’t laying yet.

I know this might sound sarcastic on text but I promise it’s a genuine question, do you think a tiny portion mixed into their normal food could hurt them if only given for a small period of time? Because it’s really the only thing I could think of off the top of my head and I really don’t want a chick hurt from my random idea. It’s also my only idea other than feeding the chick a fresh (not store bought) hard boiled egg for the extra protein to help it grow a bit.

Back
Top Bottom