Six-week old EE chicks...breaking all the rules on gender ID!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Gindee77, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    These are my two 6-week old EE chicks and I am having a terrible time figuring them out. The one I think is a male has feathered out like a female...he was supposed to be a female. He has a 3-row pea comb and it's getting red already, and his legs are thicker than the other one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one that was supposed to be a roo is feathering like a male but has a small 1-row pea comb and there's no red showing, plus he/she has thinner legs than the other one.

[​IMG]

I want them both to be pullets!! [​IMG]

2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Looks to me that the first one is a boy, second a girl!! JMHO

3. Gindee77

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Thanks for answering...I was beginning to wonder if I was going to get an answer! [​IMG]

4. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

No problem! I have an almost 7 week old EE roo...had a red comb just like yours. Mine feathered out REALLY slow, but got the thick legs and red comb early.

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:Bless your heart...it is the weekend and alot of people are busy doing their chicken chores...I know we were! [​IMG]

I'm in agreement with Bec, first 2 pix show a roo in the making and 3rd pic is a pullet.

Dawn

6. zippychickens

zippychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    Ya, I think that red comb kind of gives it away. My EE's had skin colored combs . Then one started to develop a red comb. Next thing I knew another one had a red comb. But this was at least 2 weeks later. Next thing they started crowing. Yep, roo's.

7. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I agree with Bec

8. Gindee77

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Thanks everyone, and especially Dawn. I thought of it being the weekend after I whined! LOL

Guess I'll be finding #1 a new home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by