Six Week Old Quail, Still No Eggs

GranolaFunkMama

Hatching
8 Years
May 1, 2011
This is our second year trying to raise quail. Last year a savage animal broke through our cage before the quail made it to laying age. This year we reinforced the structure and thankfully the quail have safely grown up without any infiltrators. But, I'm a little surprised we have not gotten any eggs yet. I'm wondering if it is a ratio issue or a space issue or both.
The hatch rate was higher than expected and we ended up with 35 of them! I'm not sure how exactly how many are male and how many female. They are all in the same coup, elevated on grading with a large sand bar to play in. The cage is 4 feet x 4 feet. Which is smaller than the 1 foot per quail ratio, but they seem happy.
Do I need to take some males out to get eggs, and if so is it important for me to identify exactly how many are male and how many are female, or can i estimate that half are male?
Might they not be laying because we need to move some to another cage?
Thanks so much for the advice!
bow.gif

With all the roos in there, they are raise'n the stress level on your hens. If your shooting for one big colony pen, try a 1 roo per 5 hen ratio. But they should start laying any time now. In the next two weeks for sure. If you have no problem with butchering, exile some of the roos to the BBQ! The mean ones taste the best....
lau.gif
Good luck with your birds! Bill

mine, took for ever to start laying i got them in october and they just started to lay, i had to wait 8 months before i got an egg, and now i have more then i know what to do with, so just be patient and they will come along.

Feed also plays a big role in how well they will lay. Make sure they are eating a higher protein feed made for gamebirds. I also like to put oyster shell free choice in the cages so the females have extra calcium available if they need it.

What kind of quail are we talking? Button quail are the fastest growing...and they don't start laying til about ten weeks old.

Well actually I beg to differ. Buttons are the fastest to hatch... Coturnix are by far the fastest to mature. Iv had them lay their first egg before 5 weeks of age... Most will reach there adult weight and be laying at 8 weeks old. Bill

Back
Top Bottom