Six weeks old: Boys or Girls?

HistoryChicken

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 5, 2013
Australia
Here are some pics of our chicks. They're six weeks old now. With a couple the gender is obvious but some are hard to tell.

Stripey (renamed Ugly) the Double-laced Barnevelder. He´s obviously a boy. Also he is really scared of people.

Niña the Andalusian. She is the friendliest of the chicks. I really, really hope she's a girl.

Dot the Plymouth Rock. (named for head spot) Not sure.

Dash the Plymouth Rock. (I don't think this is a picture of the same one) Also not sure.

Rocket the Araucana. She's a girl and the second friendliest.

Last but not least Lightning. This one's a rooster. He has bigger, different coloured feet than Rocket and has more obvious comb.

The chicks are settling in all right. We have them outside most of the day now. Our old chicken seems to ignore them most of time, though she has pecked at them a few times. Has anyone notice their roos fighting each other at six weeks old? Lightning and Rocket do

Actually both of the roos are pretty shy. The Araucanas and Rocks actually belong to my brothers. It isn't very clear in the pictures, but Dot's comb is slightly pinker than Dash's. also Dot's barring is slightly stronger, but there isn't much difference.

Here are some pics of our chicks. They're six weeks old now. With a couple the gender is obvious but some are hard to tell.

Stripey (renamed Ugly) the Double-laced Barnevelder. He´s obviously a boy. Also he is really scared of people.
1000% boy. Look at that comb!

Niña the Andalusian. She is the friendliest of the chicks. I really, really hope she's a girl.
Hard to tell from this photo. Looks like a pullet so far, but a side shot of the head might change my mind.

Dot the Plymouth Rock. (named for head spot) Not sure.
Female.

Dash the Plymouth Rock. (I don't think this is a picture of the same one) Also not sure.
Can't tell due to the lighting of the photo. With BR, it's easiest for me to tell by color, and this one is washed out. I think it's female, though.

Rocket the Araucana. She's a girl and the second friendliest.
Are you sure she's an Araucana? Did she come from a breeder? She has a tail (Araucanas are rumpless) and she lacks the characteristic tufts of an Araucana. If she was bought anywhere other than an Araucana breeder, this is an Easter Egger.

Last but not least Lightning. This one's a rooster. He has bigger, different coloured feet than Rocket and has more obvious comb.
Yep, boy for sure.

The chicks are settling in all right. We have them outside most of the day now. Our old chicken seems to ignore them most of time, though she has pecked at them a few times. Has anyone notice their roos fighting each other at six weeks old? Lightning and Rocket do

I also always keep the LEAST aggressive cockerel. Remember, aggression in young boys shows as "friendliness" towards humans--wanting to be picked up and cuddled. Seems weird, but the boy that wants the least to do with you is most likely to be a better flock boss later.

I would have to say that you may need to change Dot and Dash's names about. I think Dot's a guy, not sure about Dash. Also, does Dash have a rose comb? looks possible from the pic.

In Australia, Araucanas are not rumpless.
From Wikipedia: A major difference in international perception of the Araucana breed is the existence of a tail. The exact physical description of the bird varies, with the North American varieties being rumpless and without a tailbone, the British standards accepting both tailed and rumpless and the Australian standard accepting only tailed.

Dash definitely does not have a rose comb. We are planning on giving them new names when they've grown up.
Thank you for your replies I'm feeling quite happy about the chicks now.

They just spent their first night outside in the new chicken house. They seemed quite happy this morning. I put our old chicken in with them and that went well. I'm afraid it went a bit too well. She completely ignored them. she seems to spend a lot of time sitting around. She is still eating fine so hopefully she will last a bit longer.

Back
Top Bottom