Size comparison

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
How big are australorps compared with BRs or RIRs? My two australorps are 16wks now but they surpassed my 21wk RIR several weeks ago. They are tall, thick-legged, beefy looking birds. I didn't realize they would be so big! So are mine just freaks or are they really that big?

2008_0911australorps0006.jpg

The Reds & the Australorps have the same standard weights: pullet 5.5 lbs, hen 6.5 lbs. The Rock should be slightly bigger: pullet 6 lbs, hen 7.5 lbs.
But not all birds/strains mature at the same rate. Don't assume your Australorps will always be bigger. That assumes they are Australorps. Check the bottoms of their feet. If they're pinkish white they're 'lorps. If they're yellow they're Jersey Giants.

My Australorps are 4-5 weeks younger than but are bigger than my RIRs and buff orps. I was starting to wonder about that too cause everything I read said they should the same or less weight than my others. They tower over my others.

Same here -- my lorpie girls are nearly twice the size of my RIR girls, and half again as big as my smaller buff orps, and the lorpies are a month younger than the buffs. They're big fluffy beautiful girls with a lovely blue-green sheen to their feathers when they're in the sunlight. They're not as friendly (rather, they're not as keen on being held) as my others, but they're incredibly curious and will come running to see what new goodies I've just come out the door with...

eta to remove a repeated section... fingers running faster than brain...
roll.png

Last edited:
When I had those breed my Austrolorp girls and RIRs were the same size. Maybe you have some Jersey Giants.

The bottoms of their feet are pinkish-white so I assume they are australorps. I love to watch them roaming around in the mornings when the sun glints off their feathers. They sure are pretty birds... hope they lay big eggs!

Chickiebaby, I think we are going to build one. Kind of depends on our landscaping being done and us having enough materials around to do it as we don't have extra money to buy supplies right now. As of right now I am planning on doing it!

Back
Top Bottom