Size comparison

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PotterWatch, Sep 19, 2008.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    How big are australorps compared with BRs or RIRs? My two australorps are 16wks now but they surpassed my 21wk RIR several weeks ago. They are tall, thick-legged, beefy looking birds. I didn't realize they would be so big! So are mine just freaks or are they really that big?

[​IMG]

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Look about the same size as mine. They are a large bird. Hen go about 7 lbs.

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Are you sure they're australorps and not jersey giants?

4. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Mine are as big as the Brahmas, I think, and dat's big!

Potterwatch, whatever did you decide about your sukkah? Do you plan to build?

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    The Reds & the Australorps have the same standard weights: pullet 5.5 lbs, hen 6.5 lbs. The Rock should be slightly bigger: pullet 6 lbs, hen 7.5 lbs.
    But not all birds/strains mature at the same rate. Don't assume your Australorps will always be bigger. That assumes they are Australorps. Check the bottoms of their feet. If they're pinkish white they're 'lorps. If they're yellow they're Jersey Giants.

6. sunshineinsc

sunshineinsc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    columbia,sc
    My Australorps are 4-5 weeks younger than but are bigger than my RIRs and buff orps. I was starting to wonder about that too cause everything I read said they should the same or less weight than my others. They tower over my others.

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Same here -- my lorpie girls are nearly twice the size of my RIR girls, and half again as big as my smaller buff orps, and the lorpies are a month younger than the buffs. They're big fluffy beautiful girls with a lovely blue-green sheen to their feathers when they're in the sunlight. They're not as friendly (rather, they're not as keen on being held) as my others, but they're incredibly curious and will come running to see what new goodies I've just come out the door with...

eta to remove a repeated section... fingers running faster than brain... [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  8. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    When I had those breed my Austrolorp girls and RIRs were the same size. Maybe you have some Jersey Giants.

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The bottoms of their feet are pinkish-white so I assume they are australorps. I love to watch them roaming around in the mornings when the sun glints off their feathers. They sure are pretty birds... hope they lay big eggs!

Chickiebaby, I think we are going to build one. Kind of depends on our landscaping being done and us having enough materials around to do it as we don't have extra money to buy supplies right now. As of right now I am planning on doing it!

10. cyrixlord

cyrixlord Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Monroe, wa
    sorry if I don't have any other chickens to compare to, but these are my australorps at 5 months.

http://tamanaka.com/MainGallery/galleryviewer.aspx?GalID=7

I really enjoy my little girls. I noticed a growth spurt at about 4 months. They started laying eggs this week.

click on a picture to see the full size. Please comment below the picture if you want!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by