size coturnix

tuesdays chicks

Songster
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
stuart florida
hi
big_smile.png
This might sound silly but I have all these eggs I'm hatching but I really don't know what size they are full grown its hard to tell by the pics, and I'm trying to figure out a bird to compare them to . are they larger then pidgin? or doves? what weight do they get to? I was joking the other day saying oh they're probably the size of that squirrel but I was thinking that probably isn't too much off.
thanks erica

Quote:
i believe the average weight of an adult Jumbo is 12 -14 oz...give or take a couple oz.

i love the personalities of the Jumbos... at least mine , they are so much easier going than my English whites ...THEY are All Spastic ! LOL
Best of luck with your eggs hatching!
thumbsup.gif

thank you fingers are crossed, lockdown tomorrow night, I tried candling I saw air sac in a few didn't candle all and some I really couldn't tell, I keep hearing different hatch times so I'm hoping they hatch on monday my day off, my dh doesn't want me taking any more maternity leave, and I'm expecting the chickens to hatch on friday hope the broodies do it right too.

Well, anyone that tells you that they have a 14-16oz. coturnix (raised under normal conditions) is telling you a fib, or most likely doesn't own a scale.
he.gif

Before the hate mail fly's out... I raise coturnix and only coturnix! I'm only interested in said quail for marketing purposes. I'm not selling magpies that smell like roses, or any other poultry, so the argument/s that I'm just trying to sell (any other species) by badmouthing couturnix is moot. I'm just trying to add sanity to the wild claims that are prevalent on these here internets!

I admit that I'm currently intrigued by coturnix feather colors. That is an aspect of coturnix marketing that I'm evaluating at the moment.
I started out raising coturnix about 4 years ago for home based egg production. Haven't purchased a grocery store chicken egg in over 3 years, so that aspect of production is covered! Yes, this silly rube figured that one out
wink.png

Meat production is currently on the rocks because of pen space requirements, but will resume in 2011.

Please excuse my ramblings! I'm just coturnixcentric. It will be my undoing!
barnie.gif

so joe you never said the true size lol, not that weight really matters to me, I was just trying to get an idea of what to expect, not trying to start a braggers thread.

Quote:
not nearly as large as the feral pigeons we have here more like dove size maybe just barely smaller then a mourning dove if you have a mix of jumbos and normals in the same pen you will see the difference easily.

Quote:
Coturnix size depends on their breeding. Regular size IMO goes from 0-8 oz. at 10 weeks. Jumbos go from 9 oz. to infinity at 10 weeks. They tend to top out at around 9-13 oz. at 10 weeks, but can get much heavier if you keep them around for a year or 2. I have some 13oz. roos, but they are pushing 2 and are breeding stock. Had I processed them at 10 weeks, they would have weighed in at 8-10 oz. Consistent weights are not coturnix strong suits.

thanks joe can't expect all birds to weigh the same, thats why they add water to supermarket chicken to bring them all to the same weight what a disgusting practice ripping off the consumers.

Back
Top Bottom