Size for brooder box and depth

trafficgal

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Ok got my 11 chicks today but am considering 3 more (this time Easter egger/amaricanas) the new ones would be only 1 day old while the other 11 are 1-2 weeks old. The lady at the store said to keep the babies separate for. Few weeks so I'm trying to figure Box's out to see if I can get them.

Two questions
1) is there a certain depth that the brooder needs to be

2) how large does the box need to be for my 11 chicks?

I believe that the brooder should be big enough for each chick to have 2 sq ft each. The brooder just has to be deep enough so that the chicks cant fly out (and other family pets cant get in). I think that 3 ft deep is pretty good, but once they start growing in those feathers, you might have to put a wire lid over the brooder to keep them inside. At about 4 weeks old, mine started flying out and roaming around the room
smile.png

Last edited:
Ok got my 11 chicks today but am considering 3 more (this time Easter egger/amaricanas) the new ones would be only 1 day old while the other 11 are 1-2 weeks old. The lady at the store said to keep the babies separate for. Few weeks so I'm trying to figure Box's out to see if I can get them.

Two questions
1) is there a certain depth that the brooder needs to be

2) how large does the box need to be for my 11 chicks?

Measures 36 inches by 34 inches by 10 inches ...

A couple of photos of my brooder setup and it holds 25 chicks
up to 3 weeks old as they are feathering out by then and move
on to the next box ...

1) I think depth should be a min of 24 in

2) I think you need at least 1 sq foot per chick. How long you plan on them living in the brooder will have to do with size, also.

Back
Top Bottom