size for brooder for 6 babies chicken

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sunflowerenvy, Mar 18, 2015.

1. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    i would like to build a brooder for my 6 baby chickens i donot know the size to build it? i want to from day 1 to 18 weeks then they go out with the older chickens.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Chicks can go outside w/out heat at about 6 weeks, once they're fully featherd out... I'd not keep them in a brooder past that age unless temps are way below freezing... a 2 foot by 4 foot brooder box should be good til about 6 weeks, but no more... I'd make them a separate area inside the run and coop for them to get to know the rest of the flock before integrating them in fully... hope this helps! Good luck!

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Good advice, but I'd go larger on the brooder if at all possible...like 3x6.

4. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    ty i want put the brooder /cage in my big chicken coop right now i have 9 hens they are 2years to5years in there here . the house is 10ft by 12 ft. i believe they are to young to integrating them others now on the floor . they have feathers for wings but still have furry heads. and today temp is 52 /47 in the coop it is 55 right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by