1. chickencoop13

chickencoop13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    nh
    i just built a 3x3 coop and was wondering if it would be suitable for 4 hens they would have a 4x8 run open to them all the time. me and my dad are going to build a 8x10 coop this winter and order chicks we had an old clubhouse converted but a bear broke the windows and ate al the hens so were building a new one in my cow pasture where they will be safe.

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    First, it depends if you have standards or bantams. Rule of thumb for standards is 4 sq ft per bird inside the house. You can usually get away with less than that for bantams.

So if you have 4 standard hens, that's 4x4=16 sq ft of inside space needed total. Some chickens may need more, some are ok with less.

Sorry about your chickens. I'm glad I don't have to worry about bears around here. The worst I encounter is to surprise a raccoon.

3. chickencoop13

chickencoop13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    nh
    how many bantams could i fit

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    9 square feet is pretty minimal, especially for a New Hampshire winter if that is where you are located. I would not personally put more than 2 birds in there and if I did I'd make darn sure they had a HUGE, ROOFED, very well wind-blocked run, not just 4x8.

You can try putting 4 birds in there, and maybe it will be okay, but it is not ideal from either a management or chicken-happiness standpoint. For one thing, it will be virtually impossible to get acceptable wintertime ventilation without serious wind in the coop.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. TajMahalChickens

TajMahalChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I would say that you could 3 standard hens, maybe 5 bantams. I know that 3 sq. ft. per bird is the rule for thumb for standards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by