Size & shape of a guinea hen's first couple eggs? And, what is this thing my hen hatched?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by bantyshanty, Dec 29, 2012.

1. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    My guinea started laying about a month ago. I never realized where her eggs were being laid (the flock is confined for the winter & she's the only guinea), till a little chick hatched under my OEGB, hiding under the nestboxes, that could possibly be half guinea. I found half the eggshell, it's a bit pointed at the end I found, but the size of a bantam egg, and not extremely thick. This is normal for the first egg or more?

Also, what do the guinea people think of this hatchling? It's snow-white, with carroty-pink skin, slightly wedgy head, non-chick voice, zips like lightning across the Rubbermaid tub in a half second, at 12 hours old. LOVES live larvae (and who wouldn't[​IMG]?)

[​IMG]

Here's the head, sorry for the blur.
    [​IMG]

not quite like chick down, either, more like fine hairs all over, shimmery. (again reminds me of the guineas I hatched last spring)

Does anyone have any experience with these crosses? PeepsCA? MuranoFarms?

I have one pied/lavender guinea hen, raised by & as a chicken and 30 hens, with 3 serama-cross bantam roos. How & why? Must be her stunning good looks & charm [​IMG].
    These are supposed to be extremely rare in nature, so is this possible? Chicks don't come out white & orangey.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    I can't tell from the pics, but yes it could be a hybrid. Determined roosters are able to breed and fertilize Guinea Hens. The hybrids are pretty rare, usually always sterile and they tend to have shorter life spans than either a Guinea or chicken.

Post more pics if you can... will be interesting to see the changes it goes thru as it matures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by