1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sizzle Chick Questions......

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by steffpeck, May 15, 2008.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Can you tell when the chick dries if it will have the frizzled feathers or not?? My first little sizzle has hatched and the chest feathers are drying and it looks like they are curling up away from his body. Would you be able to tell this soon??

2. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    cross breeds are a craps shoot really. they could, but for the most part you have to wait at least for the 2nd set of feathers to come in to see what all will be frizzled and or silkie.

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    With most any Frizzle chick, you will be able to tell if they are frizzled at around 2 weeks. When the wing feathers come in they will turn out. If you look at the from the back they will be distinctly different than the others.

4. Chicken Cluck

Chicken Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    I never had a frizzle chick. Good Luck!

5. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    Lanexa, Virginia
    I have never been able to tell until about the 2nd week , like Jimnjay said. But, when it starts to show, you won't be able to miss it.
    Rachel

6. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I ordered 3 frizzle cochin chicks this year, but lost two right off the start. Figured my last one wouldn't frizzle, and kinda forgot all about it. Then one day (at about 2 weeks) I saw this chick with seriously messed up looking wings and was thinking "what the heck is wrong with it!!??" Then it dawned on me it was a frizzle LOL. Sure is funny looking now, at 4 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by