Sizzle or Frizzle?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brandoncakes, Apr 16, 2016.

1. brandoncakes

brandoncakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    This chick's mother was a frizzled cochin, and father was a black silkie. No head crest, muffs, nor beard. Has a fifth toe, black skin, and pea comb. Wing feathers are curling, but they aren't quite feathers like his brothers/sisters, they look more silkie-ish. Could they be frizzled silkie feathers? Anyone have pics of their silkie frizzle chicks? Anyone's look like mine at this age(2 1/2 weeks)? Do you have adult pics? Can you tell male or female? Too early?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickenHermit

ChickenHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    It does look like silkied feathers. Does the mother have any silkie in her background? She would need to carry at least one silkie gene for her chick to have silkied feathers, as I believe that it is recessive.

3. Farrier

Farrier Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2014
    I think he might just be going through a scruffy stage. You'll soon know for sure, but if the parents were purebred he shouldn't be silkied.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Here are some of my frizzled Silkies (Frilkies). Sorry, I didn't have any chick pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, Frilkies can be tough to pick out from regular Silkies. Can you post a picture from the back (a butt shot)? From the back, it's much easier to see if the wings are curling or not. Thats how I figure who my Frilkies are.

And yes, in order to produce chicks with silkied feathers, your Cochin hen has to have had a Silkie ancestor. Those shredded feathers are recessive, and each parent has to contribute a gene for them to be seen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by