Skin color sexing in chicks?

SheaLoner

Crowing
Feb 27, 2020
Upstate Ny
Does anyone have pictures of what a black skin roo over a light skinned hen looks like in day olds? This is supposed to be a sexable skin color correct? The fibro coloring would be males and light skin females I believe.
I can read it but without pictures to back it up I have a hard time visualizing it.

Does anyone have pictures of what a black skin roo over a light skinned hen looks like in day olds? This is supposed to be a sexable skin color correct? The fibro coloring would be males and light skin females I believe.
I can read it but without pictures to back it up I have a hard time visualizing it.
Black Skin on Females, Light skin on Males, this is done with Silkie Rooster x White/Yellow Shank hen

just for fun, here is a vivid example of skin color between the sexes on one chick we hatched in September. An Ayam Cemani roo over a Naked Neck Turken hen resulted in this chimera chick. The left side is female right side is male. the chick is black so the shanks and beak color are dark on both sides but body skin is easy to see on a naked neck.
254107979_4713048098745497_2153316010269115377_n.jpg

just for fun, here is a vivid example of skin color between the sexes on one chick we hatched in September. An Ayam Cemani roo over a Naked Neck Turken hen resulted in this chimera chick. The left side is female right side is male. the chick is black so the shanks and beak color are dark on both sides but body skin is easy to see on a naked neck.
View attachment 3014437
The adult bird looks to be pure Rooster as in both gender of the chimera are males... at least that is what I am seeing

I posted this bird on a few chicken FB pages as well as on this forum. From one of the FB pages I was contacted by a gentleman who had previously had a chimera. He put me in touch with a professor at Edinburgh University. They are going to apply for permits to allow importation of biological samples to their country taken from this bird. They are interested in blood and feather samples. The bird will not be harmed and will live a happy chicken life with me. They asked if I could observe and document certain things and provide photos periodically to help with their research. They asked if I could send photos of parents and siblings. I have a full sibling male and a half sibling female from same hatch. (photos below) With the photos and the ancestry of the bird I sent they speculated that it is a gynandromorph which is male/female Chimera. Of course it is all speculation until genetic tests are completed or and egg appears. It was mentioned that female hormones would inhibit their growth and number of sickle feathers. His full brothers tail in comparison and the size and shape of the female sibling comb were pints of interest mentioned. I had originally sent in an eggshell for DNA sexing when the chick was a day or two old. It came back as a male. However, the test used only tests for the presence or absence of male DNA. Since it does have at least one side that is male the test is inconclusive. I am excited that we will be able to get some scientific based answers with this bird and that it can be part of this study. The University in Edinburgh was excited that we had photos documenting the bird as it has grown and have siblings and the parents. I will of course keep everyone updated with test results and what other details they will be interesting in having me observe and document.

bird in question;
KIMG3995_2.JPG

full brother for tail and comb comparison
KIMG4674_2.JPG

half sibling female for comb comparison
KIMG4318.JPG

I certainly am not an expert and you may very well be correct in it being a full rooster chimera. If it is all boy I will mention their expert observation skills were off and perhaps you could tutor them, lol. I am completely undecided on the matter. There are times when I'm convinced it has a female side and then I don't see anything but boy next time I look at it. It was raised with 4 other chicks that I kept from that hatch two other males and a female. As it has matured into a teenager it doesn't spend much of its day identifying as a chicken. It thinks it is a dog. He has befriended my dogs, it hops the chain link fence into the dog yard attached to the house and hangs with them most of the day. This makes it hard to identify any chicken behavior of either sex. In the evening it returns to its coop to be a chicken until morning. it sleeps on the doggy bed with one of the dogs and gets so sad when the dogs are in the house. I'm sure it wont be long before it comes in the doggy door.

Back
Top Bottom