Skin issue or parasite problem?

Apollos-Quackers

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
West Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I have a Pekin duck which has been picking at her feathers around her neckline. I couldn't see evidence of any parasites, so I'm wondering if it's a skin irritation or problem instead? I thought it was getting better at one point, but now it seems to be getting worse again. I recently changed their food to All Flock pellet feed at the recommendation of someone that said my mixture would promote obesity. This skin problem began before the recent feed change.
20220201_164458.jpg

All flock feed is fine for ducks. I feed it to my whole crew. You mentioned she was having this issue prior to the feed transition. If shes molting that could be part of the issue. Do you see pin feathers?
How old is she? She seems to be having multiple issues considering your other post.

All flock feed is fine for ducks. I feed it to my whole crew. You mentioned she was having this issue prior to the feed transition. If shes molting that could be part of the issue. Do you see pin feathers?
How old is she? She seems to be having multiple issues considering your other post.
This is a different duck from the other post. She HAD been molting and this spot just didn't seem to recover. She's constantly picking at it too. I tried looking beneath the feathers for anything else, but it just looked like normal skin to me.

This is a different duck from the other post. She HAD been molting and this spot just didn't seem to recover. She's constantly picking at it too. I tried looking beneath the feathers for anything else, but it just looked like normal skin to me.
Oh so both are having feather issues?

No. Just this one. It was before the feed change but began at the end of a molting.
In your wobbly duck post, you stated that one was molting. So, it sounded like maybe both were having feather issues.
Is this the duck that got attacked in the neck area?
Is the neck always wet?
How long ago did you change feed?
What type of feeder do the ducks use?

In your wobbly duck post, you stated that one was molting. So, it sounded like maybe both were having feather issues.
Is this the duck that got attacked in the neck area?
Is the neck always wet?
How long ago did you change feed?
What type of feeder do the ducks use?
So the one with the feathers issue was coming out of a molt when this feather issue began a few weeks before the feed change. The wobbly one was in a full, rather sudden onset of a molt just days after the feed change. I don't THINK either are the one that was attacked...? That was last summer and on the other side of the body.

The feathers are wet because she doesn't leave it alone.
I transitioned the feed last weekend.
I made a feeder out of PVC tubes.

My grandson is visiting today. I'll have him help me get a better look at and pictures of both ducks.

I haven't had any help to get a good look under the feathers. My grandson is visiting today and I'll be recruiting his help. I couldn't tell if there were pin feathers under it or not. She will be 2 in May. She was just coming out of a molting a couple weeks before the feed change and that is when this problem began.

Back
Top Bottom