Skin Issues on Chickens

MadChickenMama

Songster
Apr 14, 2018
North Carolina
Chicken has flaky, white skin on back of head. It's causing feathers to fall out and not regrow. The chicken is fine otherwise.

I found a thing on it a while back and now can't find the site again. I need to know how to fix this so she can look nice again. When I found it the first time the site said something about it being a fungus.

Chicken has flaky, white skin on back of head. It's causing feathers to fall out and not regrow. The chicken is fine otherwise.

I found a thing on it a while back and now can't find the site again. I need to know how to fix this so she can look nice again. When I found it the first time the site said something about it being a fungus.
Can you post some photos?
Hard to know what to suggest without seeing it.

Sometimes pecking that is healing will appear white. Combs especially can be dry and whitish in winter. Favus is a fingal disease that causes white discoloration, and it is contagious. If you cannot post pictures which make it easier for us to tell what the problem might be, here are some pictures of favus, a fungal disease:
upload_2019-3-11_14-24-6.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-11_14-20-32.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-11_14-20-32.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 5
  • upload_2019-3-11_14-21-7.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-11_14-21-7.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 5
  • upload_2019-3-11_14-23-28.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-11_14-23-28.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 5
Sorry for the delayed reply. This is her. Her sister had the same issue on the back of her head but her sister ended up with a nasty cold or something and didn't make it. All the mucus just soffocated her and I couldn't do anything :/
20190312_073657.jpg

It looks a bit like rooster damage common on the back of the neck. If it seems like it still is chaulky and white or favus, you can apply some antifungal cream (miconazole or clotrimazole) daily.
Agreed, looks like mating damage to me too.
Could be some rough/dry skin or fungal infection. I would put some cream on it.

Thank you! I'm surprised only she and her sister had this issue. I've got other girls that were in the same pen and neither of them have that damage. They're all with much nicer boys now, so hopefully if it's rooster damage it'll get better.

My hens have a similar issue or could be. I just noticed it today. Both have it. I am in Wisconsin where it is finally getting warm. Dint know if it frost bite or fungus or what.
F7D5C1B6-543F-4C86-9832-9108EFC48509.jpeg

My hens have a similar issue or could be. I just noticed it today. Both have it. I am in Wisconsin where it is finally getting warm. Dint know if it frost bite or fungus or what. View attachment 1724086
To me it looks like the coloring of her ear, is it powdery or dry?

Sometimes the earlobe can have a bit of bleed through especially if there are some cross breeds in their past. With hatchery birds you may see it a bit more often in production breeds/hybrids because they may use Leghorn somewhere in the cross to improve production.

Back
Top Bottom