Skin Problem

Most people wash the legs in a soapy bath, and gently wash the scales with a toothbrush. After drying the legs apply castor oil, vegetable oil, or vaseline to the legs rubbing it to get under the scales. Repeat this once a week for several weeks until you see new scales growling in. Sevin dust alone will not work on leg mites, but can treat mites elsewhere on the body.

I have not yet gotten the sevin dust, I will very soon. I just checked one of my girls and she had tiny black specks of something in her plumage (I don't know if that's the right word). I am guessing it is just dirt since they do dust baths. The "dirt" that was in her feathers was actually just the feather (the makeup of the feather). It seems she is molting.

Not sure how to use this site, but I need help. I have 3 pulleys and 1 cockerel Bielefelders..,all 1 weeks old. All their beaks are blackening. Why?? They are eating and acting just fine.

Not sure how to use this site, but I need help. I have 3 pulleys and 1 cockerel Bielefelders..,all 1 weeks old. All their beaks are blackening. Why?? They are eating and acting just fine.
Welcome to BYC. You may want to start your own thread so that more people notice the title, and respond. Here is where to start a thread in the emergency forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10 A good title would be "Bielefelders beaks are black" or similar. You also could post here in the breeds section: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/14
I'm not familiar with that breed, but perhaps they are a different breed or mixed? Some breeds such as heritage RIR's will have horn-colored beaks. You may want to post a picture of the chicks close up.

I personally use Sevin dust available at Tractor Supply, Lowe's, Home Depot, and most other gardening stores.

Dust around the vent and under each wing. Repeat in seven days. Repeat *again* in another seven days. Three treatments - seven days apart.

Also clean out and dust your coop and roost pole, as eggs can hatch and re-infest everything.

DE is ineffective as far as parasite control in concerned.

MrsB

Thank You ever so much for this info. Have lost 3 hens In the last 6 months to Fox, bobcat, whatever. 2 new girls were in tiny cages, One without feathers on her neck! I thought due to her Poking her head out of cage...No room for anything else. POOR girls! Wonderful to see them enjoying free range but Need to get them laying. I had NO IDEA Sevin could do the job. Wonderful, Will try tomorrow!

It seems as if my chickens are getting worse. They are losing quite a bit of feathers and one of them has large clumps of dirt on the feathers on her neck. I have been treating everything with sevin dust for mite treatment and treating both of my chickens' legs with vegetable oil for scaly leg mite treatment to have new scales grow back. Would molting still not be a possible diagnosis? I have been noticing feathers here and there on the ground from my chickens.

woot.gif
yippiechickie.gif
thumbsup.gif

Update: My remaing girl is doing GREAT with the feather fixer stuff I bought at TSC. It's to a point I'm not sure she's Even BOTHERING with the C. Scratch! Living in a cage, not getting as much nutrients, not sure what has her neck still bald but she IS feathering out. Being free HELPS I'M sure! Just in time: BELOW 40 tonight!
hmm.png

Last edited:
woot.gif
yippiechickie.gif
thumbsup.gif

Update: My remaing girl is doing GREAT with the feather fixer stuff I bought at TSC. It's to a point I'm not sure she's Even BOTHERING with the C. Scratch! Living in a cage, not getting as much nutrients, not sure what has her neck still bald but she IS feathering out. Being free HELPS I'M sure! Just in time: BELOW 40 tonight!
hmm.png

I am SO HAPPY TO HEAR that your remaining girl is doing great! I have researched feather fixer and it is amazing. It has mite fighter technology (I cannot find in the product description that it has this technology, however some people said in their product reviews that it does have this technology and it does work). I have not used it yet, I will very soon.

Back
Top Bottom