Skin wound on neck of 6 month black sex link

garthmyers

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 2, 2011
Central Missouri
I have asix month old black sex link that was attacked by a neighbors dog. The skin and some feathers were tore on her neck but no puncure wound or blood. I have no doubt that she will survive but we are leaving tomorrow afternoon for a week of vacation. I am having a friend and neighbor come over and check food and water andcollect eggs. Right now i have her isolated in a dog crate but am wondering what to do. Will she be ok in the run and coop with the other chickens or should i leave her isolated while i am gone. I have cleaned the wound and applied iodine and antibiotic cream to the wound. I also am going to put SWAT over the cream to keep flies away, any thought advice on haw to handle the situation.

You would be taking quite a chance to put her with the others even if you were closely supervising, IMO, because of the danger of others attacking the wound. Also, I don't imagine one application of SWAT would be enough for a whole week, though I have not used the product. I would keep her isolated, unfortunately, as she will most likely re-enter the flock at the bottom of the pecking order.

I can have the neighbor and friend doctor her while i am gone. So you would suggest keeping here isolated the week while we are gone and have them doctor her. What is the sign that she can reenter the flock? Should I wait until she is complely healed or until the wound scabs over. This is my first experience with a wounded chicken and am traveling unknown waters.

i agree with ddawn. Keep her isolated in a crate or hutch with water and food. If you have someone coming to check on the flock, ask them to apply ointment to her wound every day. i like to use Blu-kote as it's antifungal and antibacterial, and acts as a wound dressing. You really want to have it completely healed before reintroducing her to the flock. The others will tend to peck on a red spot or scab.

Thanks everyone for the great advice unfortunately I came home this evening and my sex link was almost completely unresponsive in the crate and died shortly after I got home.

sad.png

i'm so very sorry. She must have had more injuries than you could see. So sorry again.

Back
Top Bottom