Skin wound on neck of 6 month black sex link

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by garthmyers, Jul 15, 2011.

1. garthmyers

garthmyers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    Central Missouri
    I have asix month old black sex link that was attacked by a neighbors dog. The skin and some feathers were tore on her neck but no puncure wound or blood. I have no doubt that she will survive but we are leaving tomorrow afternoon for a week of vacation. I am having a friend and neighbor come over and check food and water andcollect eggs. Right now i have her isolated in a dog crate but am wondering what to do. Will she be ok in the run and coop with the other chickens or should i leave her isolated while i am gone. I have cleaned the wound and applied iodine and antibiotic cream to the wound. I also am going to put SWAT over the cream to keep flies away, any thought advice on haw to handle the situation.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You would be taking quite a chance to put her with the others even if you were closely supervising, IMO, because of the danger of others attacking the wound. Also, I don't imagine one application of SWAT would be enough for a whole week, though I have not used the product. I would keep her isolated, unfortunately, as she will most likely re-enter the flock at the bottom of the pecking order.

3. garthmyers

Mar 2, 2011
    Central Missouri
    I can have the neighbor and friend doctor her while i am gone. So you would suggest keeping here isolated the week while we are gone and have them doctor her. What is the sign that she can reenter the flock? Should I wait until she is complely healed or until the wound scabs over. This is my first experience with a wounded chicken and am traveling unknown waters.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i agree with ddawn. Keep her isolated in a crate or hutch with water and food. If you have someone coming to check on the flock, ask them to apply ointment to her wound every day. i like to use Blu-kote as it's antifungal and antibacterial, and acts as a wound dressing. You really want to have it completely healed before reintroducing her to the flock. The others will tend to peck on a red spot or scab.

5. garthmyers

Mar 2, 2011
    Central Missouri
    Thanks everyone for the great advice unfortunately I came home this evening and my sex link was almost completely unresponsive in the crate and died shortly after I got home.

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    [​IMG]

i'm so very sorry. She must have had more injuries than you could see. So sorry again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by