Skinny bunny

Well, I think he's not going to make it :( We seperated him to see if the other one was bullying him. He ate/drank/pooped normally. We thought he would fatten back up and be fine. But he's actually continued to drop weight, and I don't think he can get up. Expecting him to be gone this morning.
They are my daughter's rabbits she bought for $10. But they aren't inside pets. When she got them we checked into neutering but it was around $150. So frustrating. Vet said teeth were fine, didn't feel anything, stool sample good no worms. Decided he was just old. But I texted the teen she got them from who said they were less than 2 years old.
Last year she had a female bunny that died of uterine cancer. So this time she got males. Apparently we can't keep bunnies alive!
What can this one have had where he would eat a ton but still lose weight?
I have never had anything like this happen to a young rabbit with good teeth. I'd offer him a small crock of rolled oats and black oil sunflower seeds in addition to his regular food and put some Pedialyte in his water to see if that helps.

Is his nose or eyes runny? Check the inside of his front legs to see if there is any matting from wiping his nose or eyes.

Do his berries stick to the underside of the wire by little strands of fur?Perhaps he has fur block? If so, maybe try putting a teaspoon of cold pressed sunflower oil on his food and smearing a little on the inside of his front legs where he will lick it off.

It's got to be something inside the rabbit that's wrong...I was looking up just some typical google searches about this, and it seems like most worms you can see in the poop. Is the rabbit showing any other signs beside lethargy (assuming this is what it is when you say 'he can't get up') and the obvious weight loss problems?

I personally don't think it's a fur blockage, since that causes stasis and then the belly would bloat and his insides would back up, causing him to stop eating.

One site (note just one) said weight loss, even while the rabbit is eating, can be caused by cancer, kidney failure, and other health problems. I didn't look into this to see what could be true, but perhaps you would like to, even if the rabbit is already gone. I'm curious to know what's going on with the poor little guy.

I'm sorry this is happening to your rabbit. :( Please keep us updated on if he makes it or not.

I'm also entertaining the possibility of E. cuniculi infection. Rabbits with this protozoan can show a variety of symptoms or none at all. Lots of rabbits carry it without any obvious signs, until some stress reduces their bodies' ability to keep it under control. The classic sign is wry neck, but this parasite can produce issues ranging from renal (kidney) problems to neurological signs including partial paralysis. Just being the subordinate animal in a multi-rabbit housing situation is a source of stress, so the lower animal on the totem pole would be more susceptible.

Thanks for your comments. Buried him this morning... :(
In reply, no worms in stool sample per vet. No, no runny eyes or anything else at all that seemed wrong. So frustrating.
Had to be sick, infection, something wrong inside. I figured if he had anything like that the other one would have the same struggle. Interesting if there is something that may be no symptoms in different bun. I will look up that e.. infection

Thanks for your comments. Buried him this morning... :(
In reply, no worms in stool sample per vet. No, no runny eyes or anything else at all that seemed wrong. So frustrating.
Had to be sick, infection, something wrong inside. I figured if he had anything like that the other one would have the same struggle. Interesting if there is something that may be no symptoms in different bun. I will look up that e.. infection
I am very sorry to hear that your bunny didn't make it. Did you perform an autopsy before you burried him?

Back
Top Bottom