Skinny lethargic messy vent 3-year-old ameraucana hen - not moving!!

Happychickens33

Chirping
Jun 26, 2020
My lavender ameraucana 3-year old hen has been having a real messy butt, has been lethargic but has been eating a little and drinking, following the flock. Today I gave her a bath- got her a clean butt- no smell. When I was towel drying her, I was shocked to find how skinny she is- I can feel her trachea -maybe. They have been all wormed recently. All other birds are healthy. She does have a lot of feathers- so I’m keeping her inside. She is just standing not eating or drinking. Tried to get some rooster booster in her with a syringe. Feathers had small white balls attached around her vent. Could he have pasty butt?

Small white balls mean lice. Heavy infestations can cause a bird to lose body condition to the point of death. You need to treat all your birds, and also clean out and treat your coop.

Treat the bird that is sick as well and try to get her to eat some scrambled egg and yes syringing the vitamins and fluid is a good idea.

I got some Rooster Booster in her with a syringe and she ate some mealworms this afterwards! What is the best treatment for lice? She is still not pooping, so I wonder if she is impacted? I want to give her another bath with epsom salt. Thank you so much for your advice. I hadn’t thought of lice.

June

I got some Rooster Booster in her with a syringe and she ate some mealworms this afterwards! What is the best treatment for lice? She is still not pooping, so I wonder if she is impacted? I want to give her another bath with epsom salt. Thank you so much for your advice. I hadn’t thought of lice.

June
Get some permethrin

Back
Top Bottom