Skinny Pullet - crop enlarged

schnebbles

Songster
9 Years
Jan 6, 2013
Indian Lake, Ohio
I noticed a few days ago that my d'uccle pullet (5-1/2 mo) is extremely bony and her crop never goes down. I think it might go down some, but it's allways got a decent amount of stuff in it. I'm not sure what to do, I saw olive oil and water, but she's pretty thin and I'm not sure that's a good idea. I doubt she'd starve. She eats and is active, but easier to catch than she was before. I've massaged it some several times and it's not really helping it.

They eat crumbles and grass in the yard. I have given raisins on top of the crumble/water mix I give them but I don't think raisins would do that. oh and some mealworms a couple days in a row.

I would think about worming her. A bird that eats a lot but fails to gain weight often has worms. Other symptoms include lethargy and sometimes loose droppings. Safeguard would be a good wormer, as would Valbazen. I use a product called the Worminator (http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584), so you could try that too, but you'll have to order it online. The other two wormers should be easier to find.

Personally, I'd treat for impacted/sour crop. The crop could get worse, so even if it isn't affecting her now, it could in the future.

Hope this helps!

Worms crossed my mind. I had another bird die about 3 weeks ago (not at all same thing), the vet tested her for coccidia and it was negative. Do you think that if that bird was ok, this bird should be as well? No one else is thin.

I brought her in and gave her 75ml (I think that's right, it's in a dropper) of oil. It's sunflower, canola and some other natural oil, I can't remember what. I thought it would work b/c I don't have olive oil. She pooped and it was what I'd call perfect poop, lol! then another time a tad runnier. She seems to enjoy me massaging her crop.

She only has vitamin water in with her, no food so I can check her in the morning.

Last edited:
Worms crossed my mind. I had another bird die about 3 weeks ago (not at all same thing), the vet tested her for coccidia and it was negative. Do you think that if that bird was ok, this bird should be as well? No one else is thin.

I brought her in and gave her 75ml (I think that's right, it's in a dropper) of oil. It's sunflower, canola and some other natural oil, I can't remember what. I thought it would work b/c I don't have olive oil. She pooped and it was what I'd call perfect poop, lol! then another time a tad runnier. She seems to enjoy me massaging her crop.

She only has vitamin water in with her, no food so I can check her in the morning.

You bird could have the same thing as the other bird that died, or something completely different. Coccidiosis is unlikely in my opinion, as the symptoms to not seem to fit.

I'm kind of thinking that too (not coccidia). my other bird had something neurogical going on, she didn't lose weight. I'm hoping it wasn't mareks.

Would you think worms would make runny poo? I always have a tad of ACV in their water as well.

I'm kind of thinking that too (not coccidia). my other bird had something neurogical going on, she didn't lose weight. I'm hoping it wasn't mareks.

Would you think worms would make runny poo? I always have a tad of ACV in their water as well.

Yes, worms can sometimes make runny droppings.

I actually was thinking more on the lines of her poop is not runny, so I wonder about the worms. I'm going to get her wormed though. I wonder if Tractor Supply has anything. Might look online and if they do get it local so it's going to be faster than ordering.

she is soooo bony, I'm worried. Her crop was completely empty this morning and there was a lot of poop and it was all really firm. She was really hungry too, I let her out in the kitchen and she was trying to eat the dog food! She didn't tho, bites are too big.

Back
Top Bottom