Skittish chickens

Walmart has cheaper meal worms it's a purple bag and every time my girls see that purple bag they go crazy they know it by color lol
What county of az? Pinal? Windy and dust devils sounds like Pinal or Pima county type area if u don't mind the question I'm in AZ too enjoying the heat? Lol
I am in Cochise County, yup nice heat and we got some rain already yesterday and today. Looks like monsoon season has started already. Got my chickens to gobble up scorpions and crickets mostly, but also for eggs and just the plain fun of watching them.
Thanks for the tips on mealworms, next time I go to Walmart will check them out!

I have yet to meet a chicken that liked wind. Mine hide when it gets windy. I've found my pullets calm down and get some sense when they get close to egglaying. The males can go either way - mellow out or turn bratty.

Where did you get these birds?

I got them from Cackle Hatchery. Next year though might get some from Maria's Jersey giants. It seems like she really knows what she's doing in breeding these birds!

Today was less windy, and got them all to come and eat a few strands of spaghetti with me. Initially, rooster came running towards us, I thought he was greeting us but then when I moved towards him he got scared and cared less about a spaghetti strand I was offering him. Hubby thinks he wasn't really running towards us to greet us but to show us he's in charge or was checking out things. Don't know what his intentions are, for now though he seems too scared to really charge at us, at least not yet, don't know if he may get more bold as he matures.

From what I read Jersey giant roosters are usually mellow, but the stress of the wind and getting always scared for stupid things worries me a bit. I hope he's not going to attack s or our dogs, that would be a real pain since we all need to use the yard to garden and let the dogs go potty.

I am in Cochise County, yup nice heat and we got some rain already yesterday and today. Looks like monsoon season has started already. Got my chickens to gobble up scorpions and crickets mostly, but also for eggs and just the plain fun of watching them.
Thanks for the tips on mealworms, next time I go to Walmart will check them out!

Monsoon hasn't started for my area yet, I usually get the brunt of monsoon in august

Back
Top Bottom