Skittish Silkie Chicks

AM10

Chirping
Aug 1, 2021
I’m three days in to owning two adorable 4 week old silkie chicks. I’ve been trying to get them to eat from my hand and build trust so that I can eventually hold them. So far only one of my chicks will peck for a second or two… otherwise they scatter the minute I try to pet them or get too close. I ordered some mealworms to see if I can entice them but if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it!

-AM

If they haven't received much handling before you got them it's not unusual that they'll be cautious. But with a bit of persistence they'll soon come around.

Can you get them out in a secure area (the bathroom is generally a good place as clean up will be easier) and sit on the floor with them? It's a good time to feed treats as well.

Don't worry if as you are reaching into the brooder they freak out (that's normal). Once they have space to run and play they'll relax and they may even perch on you and once they associate you with that freedom they'll soon look forward to play time.

I find budgie seed is a good first treat. Don't give too many mealworm as they are high in fat.

If they haven't received much handling before you got them it's not unusual that they'll be cautious. But with a bit of persistence they'll soon come around.

Can you get them out in a secure area (the bathroom is generally a good place as clean up will be easier) and sit on the floor with them? It's a good time to feed treats as well.

Don't worry if as you are reaching into the brooder they freak out (that's normal). Once they have space to run and play they'll relax and they may even perch on you and once they associate you with that freedom they'll soon look forward to play time.

I find budgie seed is a good first treat. Don't give too many mealworm as they are high in fat.
Thanks you! I’ve been mostly trying to bond with them while they are in their brooder! But I’m definitely trying the open space idea tomorrow in the bathroom tomorrow! I’m just cautious of picking them up and traumatizing them before they fully trust me.

Thanks you! I’ve been mostly trying to bond with them while they are in their brooder! But I’m definitely trying the open space idea tomorrow in the bathroom tomorrow! I’m just cautious of picking them up and traumatizing them before they fully trust me.
Even our well handled chicks don't like being lifted and carried, but all is forgotten once they get down on the floor for a play.

Make sure you don't make any sudden movements from above or reach to pick them up from above. They will react as if you are an aerial predator. Always pick them up by sliding your hand underneath their tummy and scooping them up.

Persevere with them and they will become friendlier.

Make sure you don't make any sudden movements from above or reach to pick them up from above. They will react as if you are an aerial predator. Always pick them up by sliding your hand underneath their tummy and scooping them up.

Persevere with them and they will become friendlier.
Thank you I’ve been trying to go that route. So far I’m getting them to eat off my hands and even one perched on my hand for a quick second. I’m gonna give it a couple more days before I start trying to get them to cuddle with me though! Thank you for the advice!

Once mine get old enough to roost with the flock, I must admit that I take them off the roost in the evening, one by one, for little snuggles. All of them 😳

Give 'em time like you would any new arrival to "the farm". We've taken birds out of the roost at night and brought them inside for some one-on-one time that seems to get them more used to us, hanging out in the garage, on the couch, etc, but then again, all our birds get lots of handling from Day 1...

They will learn soon enough that you belong to them, and they'll treat you accordingly :)

Back
Top Bottom