Skunk digging, best barrier?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by RedOkra, Aug 30, 2011.

1. RedOkra

RedOkra Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    I found a hole outside of my chicken coop the other morning, with a perfect footprint. I thought it might be a raccoon but after reading a little about behaviors I'm thinking its a skunk and we have a ton of them here so I wouldnt be surprised. My coop is quite secure and built off of the ground but I am worried about my new broody who I've moved to an existing structure with no real bottom (four posts and plywood with a swinging door). I'm sure a skunk could dig his way underneath, so I'm wondering if any of you have suggestions for a good barrier? I thought I'd bury 2 x 4's or 2 x 6's all the way around.

2. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    We just had this problem with our coop and I put hardware cloth down and topped it with 30 pound pavers (4 x 8 x 20). You do want to do something because they can sure dig and will dig right under your structure. We thought it was a raccoon because of the digging, that is until DH shot it last night -- trying to dig into the coop some more.

3. bgates1970

bgates1970 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Elko, MN
    I would place a 3 ft apron around the parameter. Just make sure to tie it into the fence itself.

4. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    I strand of electric fence 4 inches off the ground 4 inches in front of the protected area does a very good job of detering digging preditors.

5. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    My chicken run is lined with rock. It easy to find here is WV. You can't dig a three inch deep hole without hitting a rock. It's about 18 inches wide and 2 feet deep.

6. mstrrlm

mstrrlm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Picayune, MS
    357, 9mm, 7.62x38 they work well for me, if you are not a good shot use 12 gauge.

7. gmachicken

gmachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Grants Pass, OR
    We've been having skunk issues as well.
    My girls were also jumping our very short fence. (The roo made them do it.) I had a trapper come and convince me that my wild bird feeders were not helping any, they were about 40 ft away but I heeded his advise and got rid of the feeders.
    We fixed that short fence with an extender fence of sorts, with a flap on the ground 6 -12 inches wide with brick and 2" X 6" X 8' so the hens are in the wild birds are gone. It is also 6-7 feet tall.
    I was able to, a couple of times, to spray the little devils with a hard spray of water all the way to the neighbors. They seem to stay away, for a while. Our coop is in pretty hard soil but when ever I see a mark like digging it gets a brick. I know it is not really scientific but it is at least holding them back. I think.

A couple of things the trapper said was interesting. The female skunks have a 1 mile radius of their birth place. They have a routine of sorts. The Babies stay with them for about a year. The males on the other hand have about a 5 mile radius from their birth.

So those of us who have them are stuck with the little guys until they all die off or they get trapped or ..........

8. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I was thinking .22 short maybe a cb cap I am the quiet type [​IMG]

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:those numbers are not written in stone sometimes a little more or a little less but they are close it is kina like a family of coon living on something only 1/2 - 1 mile square and their territory will overlap its amazing they find food in something that small and I can see why they fight so much in the spring .

10. ruffedgrouse

ruffedgrouse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Central Pennsylvania
    I put rocks all around my run and burried the fence so nothing can get in... I had a coon dig, but didnt get in [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by