Skunk in the trap

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Heidisgran, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Heidisgran

Heidisgran Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    Burleson Texas
    My Coop
    what do I do with a skunk?? anyone have any ideas??

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    shoot it. and have the tomato juice or soup handy. i have heard that they dont want to spray so MAYBE if you approach with caution and slowly release it you wont get skunked. or just call animal control. they will love you for it. haha good luck

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    [​IMG] I was just thinking the same thing. I put out a live trap for a possum that is about every time I turn around and am worriying about maybe a skunk getting in it overnite.[​IMG] Thats the way I would feel. I have HEARD that you can throw a tarp over the trap and and undo the door and run like crazy but I have not tried it. HOPE I don't have too in the morning. I put the trap out late this evening.[​IMG] Please please no skunk.

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i was trapping coons and a big male will smell about as bad as a skunk. i fixed my coop well enough that they cant get to them and stopped the trapping. i was very much afraid of the same thing and i know i cant move fast enough

5. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    fill a cattle water trough with water or something deep/big enough to sink the live trap completely......cover the skunk and trap with a blanket.....sheet........or whatever. Put it in the trough....and walk away for a bit. they don't spray when covered......if you don't cover it.......you won't be able to get out of the way fast enough.

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    can you throw a lasso? boy, i would like to watch this- from a safe distance.

7. Heidisgran

Heidisgran Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    Burleson Texas
    My Coop
    thanks guys...
    I think I might be able to talk my neighbor into shooting it...from a distance
    I think drowning is cruel...what a way to go [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by