Skunk Outside! What to do about SMELL?

TipsyDog

Songster
10 Years
May 14, 2009
Aregua, Paraguay
Help! My dog was outside for quite awhile and suddenly I smelled a skunk. I ran out and called him (we have a fenced area for the dogs) and he's OK.

BUT my eyes are watering inside my own livingroom! This thing must have sprayed right outside my house. I have all the windows closed, but it's getting hot in here. I won't let the dogs out.
Is there anything I can do to dilute this odor? Hose down the area - anything? This is not how I wanted to spend my Friday night
barnie.gif

Boil a great big old pot of vinegar and water. It helps. It won't eliminate the smell entirely, but it helps to neutralize it. But open your windows first. Fresh air is your friend, even if there's a bit of skunk in it!

sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
I hate it when I get woke up around 2 or 3 in the morning due to a terrible skunk smell coming in the window. You know it's strong when the smell wakes you up.

I had a skunk near my house two nights ago. Just passing through. Nothing disturbed. Not in the coop, run, or even the stinky compost pile right behind the coop/shed. And let me tell you, there's tons of veggies rotting in there right now.

Find the source of the stink- the spot where the skunk sprayed, not the skunk itself- and spritz some dish detergent/peroxide/baking soda mix onto it. It may kill your lawn in the area you spritz, but the skunk spray will also kill your lawn in that area, so... at least the spritz smells better than the skunk.
1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 cup Baking Soda
2 tbsp Dish Detergent. The stuff for washing dishes in the sink, not something for dishwashers. Use it while it's still foaming.

Skunks oh we have skunks!! Usually when they pass by you can always tell! But one has found her way into the yard and .... the rose garden does not smell so sweet anymore as our dobe found the skunk!!!
The solution posted by CMV works really well so does Simple green but it needs to be washed off! Found that Febreze spray and candles really help in the house!My vet also so carries a product called Skunk Off that can be sprayed right on the dog. The boy skunks you can smell coming and going!

Quote:
I have tried every marketed remedy for skunks, and the old tomato sauce deal as well. Nothing ever has worked as well as the remedy above. It's ridiculously awesome!!

The others just leave the skunk smell - as soon as the dog is wet, you smell skunk everywhere all over again.

You can actually use a similar mixture to above (diluted with much water) on dogs that get sprayed.

Our chihuahua used to think he was the big skunk hunter. We could never trap or find the skunk, but he would. One time after I saw him get sprayed, I swear he was rolling around absolutely thrilled about the smell and experience! (I could have throttled the little cutie...if I didn't adore him.)

Here are some dog-friendly (and human friendly) versions of it:

http://dogs.about.com/cs/generalcare/p/skunk.htm

Pour cinnamon powder on flat cookie trays, and bake at 250F for 20 min or until hot, and aroma-ey.

Put a tray in each room of house, on a stable trivet.

That should help some.

Good luck...

Thanksomuch - your comment was so nice to find at 2:20a.m. awakened by skunk spray drifting into my home. I boiled and am simmering spices on water and it is much better already. Watching it so that I don't fall asleep with the thing on the stove - will put it on a cup warmer maybe or simmerpot on the range counter for safety and let it do its job till morning. Yawn..... and thanks again...e.

Back
Top Bottom