Skunk spray...toxic to chickens??

I had a skunk dig under our fence and get into the run. After filling the holes with rocks, and having them redug, I decided to take affirmative action. I sat on top of the coop one moon lit night and after about an hour or so, sure enough that little bugger came right out of the neighbors field heading straight for the coop. Ishot it with a shotgun, but this seemed to make it VERY angry and it sprayed two or three times before dying. MAN was that potent stuff. I had to dig a hole and bury the critter, being careful not to touch it with anything except the post hole diggers. AndI STILL had to get rid of the skunk smell that was on my clothes and in my hair. At least the flock is safe once again.

I had a skunk dig under our fence and get into the run. After filling the holes with rocks, and having them redug, I decided to take affirmative action.

Yup, they are persistant diggers. Watched a skunk actually dig under my hot wire one night. It's fur was so thick the wire didn't get to it's skin and so did not shock it. Next night I lowered the wire.​

Okay, crazy question, but just thought of this. Is it feasible that rabies would be a threat if you were sprayed by a rabid skunk? What if it got you in the face? Just wondering...

My daughter saw a skunk at the front door last night... This afternoon I went to the coop to get eggs and it smells like skunk there are blood splatters on the wall and on the ramp which goes to the nesting boxes. I'm guessing our rooster did his job. But I am worried about rabbies. We are in Colorado and there have been several skunks with positive rabbies here. Does the spray smell make the chickens sick?

Hi there! I know this is an old thread but I just posted one very similar, I'm worried one of my hen's got sprayed right in the face by a skunk we are trying to take care of on our property. Were your hen's OK? Did you end up doing a bath/eye rinse? if yes, what did you use?

I think it's good to revive old threads. It's been several years ago but someone was catching and releasing skunks in my area. We are rural on a dead end road. They were digging up my yard. I put a live trap out and in around two weeks I caught around a dozen skunks. One night I got two skunks in one trap. Another night I went out to check on the chicks because I had forgotten to close their pop door. When I went out there was a skunk attempting to dig under the gate to their pen. Somehow the pop door was closed just enough that some of the chicks couldn't get in. I stomped my feet at the skunk and it turned towards me and stomped it's feet at me. I went into the house and got my rifle and went back out and attempted to scare the skunk off and again it stomped it's feet at me, it seemed persistent. I shot it and put a bucket over it until I could deal with it in the morning.

I dug a very big hole at the far corner of our property as I was eliminating the skunks, they would go into the hole and I would shovel some dirt over them to help cut down the smell. I was never sprayed. Once in awhile a car has hit a skunk usually on the main road and the smell can carry a long ways. I haven't seen a skunk in a very long time around here. I have several game cameras on my property and I see mostly coyotes. I don't know if they will prey on a skunk. They prey on most everything else.

I think it's good to revive old threads. It's been several years ago but someone was catching and releasing skunks in my area. We are rural on a dead end road. They were digging up my yard. I put a live trap out and in around two weeks I caught around a dozen skunks. One night I got two skunks in one trap.
I don’t understand how people think “relocating” wild animals is a good idea… we also live a ways out and have caught people releasing raccoons not far from our chickens… we’re like…. Get those OUT OF HERE!!!

Back
Top Bottom