Skunk trapped in coop!

jmdarrow

Chirping
Mar 21, 2015
west monroe, ny
OMG I need advice...I was checking my broodie pen and noticed the strangest chicken behavior yet.
My BA Thelma is being momma to brand new silkie babies....hmmmm.
Off I went to chicken yard and all the chickens are in their own little groups, momma silkie is off doing her own thing. Then I hear honey bee, one of my new chicks screeching away, so off to the coop I go. I noticed her sweet little self trapped between the broody cage and the wall, as I reach down to free her I notice...a skunk is also trapped underneath the wire broody cage. What to do? I ran for it as fast as I could, the coward that I am..
Now what? Is the skunk alive? It didn't move When I was attempting to rescue the chick....
I call the hubs...I'm on my way, he says. Stay away from the coop. He says.
I TRIED to stay away, but honey bee was screeching and so scared!
I sent my son in..poke that skunk with a stick I said...if looks could kill, his face said...so he poked that skunk with a stick, boy was that skunk mad. So was my son...
Anyway, how do you go about getting the skunk smell out of a chicken coop? My poor chickens! Honey bee is in a box in the house with a bum leg, scrambled eggs and water. Hopefully she will be okay in the morning. She is resting comfortably in the house and hopefully will show some improvement in the morning.
Any and all advice is welcome.
Thank you.

Oh My! What a pickle!

There are several threads about skunks in coops, I don't know if the smell will affect them too much. Uggghh.

Hopefully Honey Bee will improve for you. If you have some Nutri-Drench you can add a little to her water or give her 1 drop direct dose.

Let us know how it goes.

It was quite a fiasco. Skunk lost and the clean up behind...yuck. I felt terrible for the skunk, but my chickens are family.
Honey bee is improving with his bum leg. I have kept him quiet and he's eating well. I keep calling it him when I don't even know with him being a 5w/o silkie. I hope it not a him.
Thelma the Black Austrolope has adopted the 2 2 day old silkies. Strange. But they are a happy little family.
So, it's back to Chicken tv for now. Thanks for your advice!

Pic of Honey Bee quietly recuperating from skunk trama.

It was quite a fiasco. Skunk lost and the clean up behind...yuck. I felt terrible for the skunk, but my chickens are family.
Honey bee is improving with his bum leg. I have kept him quiet and he's eating well. I keep calling it him when I don't even know with him being a 5w/o silkie. I hope it not a him.
Thelma the Black Austrolope has adopted the 2 2 day old silkies. Strange. But they are a happy little family.
So, it's back to Chicken tv for now. Thanks for your advice!
Uggh! I'm glad you were able to take care of all that.

Honey Bee is just darling! Chicken TV is the Best
smile.png

Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom