Skunk

mylittlefarmhouse

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2020
Hello All,
Not sure what forum this should come under but I'm pretty sure that I have a skunk living under my coop. The last mornings that I have gone into the coop I could smell a very strong skunk smell and there is a huge hole dug under the coop. The skunk cannot get into the coop at night, it is super sturdy and secure but I'm worried about the daytime. Will it go after my young hens and chicks? Is the odor going to make my girls sick? Should I be concerned? Any advise is welcome and much appreciated.
Lisa

Fox can also have a strong, musky, skunk like odor. If the hole is huge, I would be concerned that a fox is trying to gain access to your coop.
Really, this is something that I didn't know... hmmm, so I wonder how I can get it to re-locate. I guess I'm calling my neighbor over to come and check it out for me. Thanks.

Yes I thought I had a skunk for YEARS because I had seen one a few times but the skunk smell is so much worse . A fox has the same smell only milder but still very noticeable. And I had a huge fox and I could smell it inside and outside the barn.

It could be a skunk or a fox. If you have a game camera you can put it up and see what it might be. I had a fox before a couple of times and they will get your birds if they get the opportunity. I did eliminate a couple of them but they did kill some of my birds and once they make a kill they will look for another opportunity. Good luck...

So it turns out that it is a skunk, a smart skunk! I have a live trap set up and have caught only possom each night lol. The trap is right in front of his/her hole, using chicken bones too... I will keep trying each night, at some point he/she won't be able to resist those chicken bones right?

Back
Top Bottom