muddyhorse

Songster
10 Years
Aug 11, 2009
Bloomsdale, MO
sickbyc.gif
oh boy two of the dogs just got sprayed
sickbyc.gif

I sprayed then down with natures miracle de skunk but ugg they still stink any tips ?
I've done the tomato juice thing before didn't really help and the dog shook tomato all over the bathroom

Fels Naptha laundry soap. It was the only thing that worked for me. It's a bit harsh but worth it in my opinion.

You can also try dawn liquid dish soap with baking soda mixed in... I found that didn't work that good.

My parents once took their dogs to PetSmart after they got sprayed and paid the people two times the price for a cleaning. It actually worked.

Good luck.

according to MythBusters

Here is the secret recipe that WORKS. Mix the following:

1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent
Mix these together and bathe ("shampoo" in or rub down) the spray victim thoroughly.
Be sure to use this mixture immediately after it is created, as it is unstable.
Rinse with tap water afterward, and repeat if necessary.
For spray in the eyes, flush with water as soon as possible.

I haven't seen the Mythbusters cure, but it makes sense. Usually, I use 2-4 ounces of Dawn and just enough water to disperse it into their coat. The secret is letting it soak in. Apply it, suds it up, read the Sunday funnies 5-10 minutes, then rinse well. Typically, I have to leash my pooches in the middle of the lawn, so they don't run to the dirt and roll. They just stand there looking sudsy and soggy, which is better than dry and stinky!

Whether you use MB's cure or just plain Dawn, let it soak in. You'll be amazed at the improvement.

Good luck!

I have used the same recipe that Goldenluver posted. It works! Used it a year ago when one of our dogs got sprayed, (of course it was 2 a.m.) Simple enough formula to mix up half awake. Important to rinse it well out of fur. The dog might otherwise have blond highlights:)

It may take a lot, but we use toothpaste to get the buck goat smell from our hands when the goats are breeding. I know its not the same smell, but it as pungent as a skunk!

Quote:
You have probably dealt with it already
Our retriever got sprayed this past spring ...at 11pm at night last pee run of the night before bedtime .....those darn foggy nights....and this is what we used but unfortunatley he got sprayed mostly in the face ....up the nose between the eyes .....so we can still slightly smell it ...exspecially when he gets wet ......we were worried about getting it in his eyes ....

Do not wet the dog down with water first just mix it up and apply...work it in real good ... let it sit for as long as possible and rinse ....now I keep a supply of peroxide on hand

I really need to print this recipe out! We have random visits from skunks at night too...very rude awakening when a 65 lb Chesapeake comes back to the door REEKING! The last time she was skunked I didn't think I was ever going to get all the smell out! I bathed her over and over, but after a day or two that skunky odor would start seeping out of her skin again (don't really know where it was coming from, but it was there!). I bathed her so many times in one month that she started to run from me if I just looked at her!
lol.png

Years ago I took my 3 dogs for a moonlight walk and we all got skunked! I had just recovered from pneumonia and my lungs were weak. I thought I was going to DIE before I could get back home! I couldn't hardly take a breath! Now I will never walk in the pasture in the moonlight again! My brother opened his back door to let his dogs out before bedtime and a skunk was on his porch looking for food. He sprayed and it went into the house! He had to rip out all his carpeting, rugs, and my sister-in-law even had to throw away lots of their leather shoes and her purses, because they couldn't get the smell out! They cleaned and cleaned for days and still could smell it. Finally realized it was in the kitchen cabinets soaked into the shelf liner they had put down! It just is the worst smell to have to get rid of!

It might be worth mentioning the mixture can be pretty irritating if it gets in eyes, so good to be careful of that.

Back
Top Bottom