Skunked on shipped eggs again...

Hi, I note that one or two folk have chosen incubator over broody for 'prize eggs'
I would do just the opposite. Mrs Broody will always be at the right temperature and humidity. Best probably to choose an experienced hen over a rookie, but 'Mum really does know best'.
The other advantage of the broody over the incubator is that there's no need for an elaborate brooder and the worries about getting the temperature right, momma will just teach them how to be a flock member and where to find food, water etc.

Sandie

I am in Australia and shipped hatch rate sux here too!
barnie.gif

Out of three lots of 12, I had 1 hatch from the first lot one from the second lot and 2 hatch from the latest shipped eggs. I just think postal workers are too rough with the parcels and the trucks get too hot inside them.

I have some in the incubator now and outa 36 eggs it looks like I may hatch 3....

NO MORE SHIPPED EGGS FOR ME, If I cant pick them up I won't buy them now.

It is just too disappointing.
hit.gif

I received Royal palm eggs from Nancy and lavender Orp eggs. My RP eggs hatched 11 out of 12, and my Orp eggs hatched 4 out of 6. I currently have 15 light Brahma eggs that were shipped to me and ALL are developing, plus I bought 12 black copper Marans eggs and put 6 of them under a broody (hatching today) and the rest in the 'bator. Only 2 didn't develop.

On the other side, I bought 12 buff Brahma eggs off eBay and had 0% hatch. I also bought 12 silver laced Brahma eggs on BYC auction and had 0% development - she sent replacement eggs and I still had 0% hatch.

Out of two and half doz of shipped eggs, got only one chick, unfortunately did not survive. So this year, it sucked for me!

On a happy note, I got 17 beautiful Wellies chicks shipped to me about aweek and half ago and they are doing well. Only lost three or four, could not count all those fuzzy butts moving around!

Same happened here- I wanted Jersey Giants as a gift for my stepdad who had worked his butt off, spent his money building me 3 big pens and a HUGE brooder and still not a one
hit.gif

Natalie~~the first crop are getting to be a nice size, showing their quality...the second crop is in that awkward stage, but ALL are doing great. This time next year, they'll be popping out little Lav's right and left
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom